• Register Today It's free!

Heated seats;

Shatfieldj

Reaction score
City, State
Lehigh Valley, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 XLT
Hi all. I tried to do a search, but didn't have a lot of success. I wonder if my heated seats are working correctly. The drivers side seat gets warm at best. My wife's car seats will just about boil you if you keep them on any length of time. Her Bmw was also like that. I have a 30 mile trip to work, and can keep the seat on the ex on high and it only gets warm as I stated. Also is the seat back heated? I don't detect any heat at all from the seat back, or is the heat on the bottom only? I don't know about the passenger side as we just got the car and my wife hasn't been in the car for more than a few minuets. I did try to put my hand on the passenger side while the heater was on but the seat felt cold. Don't know if someone has to be sitting in the seat or not. What is your experience? Trip to dealer? Thanks in advance.............Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My explorers seats get really warm. I usually only keep them on high for ten to fifteen minutes before I move them down to level one.

Hi all. I tried to do a search, but didn't have a lot of success. I wonder if my heated seats are working correctly. The drivers side seat gets warm at best. My wife's car seats will just about boil you if you keep them on any length of time. Her Bmw was also like that. I have a 30 mile trip to work, and can keep the seat on the ex on high and it only gets warm as I stated. Also is the seat back heated? I don't detect any heat at all from the seat back, or is the heat on the bottom only? I don't know about the passenger side as we just got the car and my wife hasn't been in the car for more than a few minuets. I did try to put my hand on the passenger side while the heater was on but the seat felt cold. Don't know if someone has to be sitting in the seat or not. What is your experience? Trip to dealer? Thanks in advance.............Steve
Hi Steve. There is a previous thread on this you may want to read.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378238&highlight=heated+seats

As for mine, I have to turn them down after about 5-10 minutes because they are just too warm on the 3 (max) setting.
I assume you are not talking about heated seats using remote start. There is a thread on that as well.

Peter

Hi Steve. There is a previous thread on this you may want to read.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378238&highlight=heated+seats

As for mine, I have to turn them down after about 5-10 minutes because they are just too warm on the 3 (max) setting.
I assume you are not talking about heated seats using remote start. There is a thread on that as well.

Peter

Thanks for the relies. Peter, there's something definitely wrong. I have a 55+ minuet commute and I can leave the seats on high, and it only gets warm. And that's being generous. Looks like a trip to the dealer. Hope they don't tell me it's within spec's also. Like I said I know how other seats work thanks.......Steve

Hi Shatfieldj,

A good first step is making an appointment at your dealership so they can inspect. Additionally, I want to get your case escalated and into the hands of your regional customer service manager. They'll collaborate with your dealership to ensure your concern is addressed. To get started, send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get to work!

Crystal

I posted a longer version on the thread referenced above. In short, the heated and cooled version is inefficient at heating (and cooling). So inefficient that I will <hoepfully> not pay for the feature again as implemented in the Ford. Perhaps the technology will improve or another manufacturer will do it better. Until then, heated seats only for me.

My heated and cooled seats work great.
Only thing I wish were that they would come on at a higher/lower auto temp setting when using remote start.

I posted a longer version on the thread referenced above. In short, the heated and cooled version is inefficient at heating (and cooling). So inefficient that I will <hoepfully> not pay for the feature again as implemented in the Ford. Perhaps the technology will improve or another manufacturer will do it better. Until then, heated seats only for me.
The efficiency of this feature seems to vary from one Ex to the other. Both my heating and cooling work great. In fact I find I have to set the heated seats to either 1 or 2. Setting 3 gets too hot after about 5 minutes. Good for hot dog buns but not mine.;)
I doubt that you will find this as a 'stand-alone' feature in future Explorers. It seems that, like cable packages around here, you get that included with another package containing features you do want.

Peter

The efficiency of this feature seems to vary from one Ex to the other. Both my heating and cooling work great. In fact I find I have to set the heated seats to either 1 or 2. Setting 3 gets too hot after about 5 minutes. Good for hot dog buns but not mine.;)
I doubt that you will find this as a 'stand-alone' feature in future Explorers. It seems that, like cable packages around here, you get that included with another package containing features you do want.

Peter

Mine seem to heat up as well as they did in my Mazda3 with 5 settings and as well as my F-250 with only one setting.
I hardly ride in our Edge so I can't comment on it.
Never ad cooled seats before and i haven't had the Ex long enough to say how they work in the heat. My wife fell asleep in the passenger seat on a road trip and I turned on her cooled seat... She woke up a few minutes later trying to figure out why she was so cold!!:D

Back