• Register Today It's free!

Heater Control Valve replacement?

BLACK95

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, Ga.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
I took my explorer in to get an alignment after I replaced the upper and lower ball joints. The techs did an inspection on the ol' ex and now they are telling me that the heater control valve needs replaced. Is something that is fairly easy to do yourself? Where is it located? I think they quoted me $100, I looked the part up and it's only $17 at Advance Auto.
Also, the thermostat needs replaced, I've heard people using the 180 degree is this the general concensus? 180 degree is better then the stock 195 degree?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very easy jobs on both ends. The heater control valve is a simple replacement. The thermostat, the 180 is fine. To change the thermostat, I recommend taking off the intake tub so its out of the way, there are two bolts that hold the upper hose intake, remove the two bolts and the thermostat is right there.. Just do the reverse order to put it back in place.

using a 180 thermostat can actually hurt, I would recommend using the stock 195.

Just get the OE replacement.. Should be around $4 don't forget to get a new rubber gasket.

I am pretty confident I can replace the thermostat, it's the heater control valve that I'm a little concerned with. I've never done one of those before. Where exactly is it located? Are there any write ups on it's replacement?

It's the plastic thing that is above the blower motor on the passanger side of the engine compartment. It has 2 hoses going into the firewall with a little vacuum motor thing on top of it.

Thanks, I found it. I'm gonna try to replace it now.

Be careful, they are flimsy plastic and can break easily...I found that out first hand the other day...

Back