02 explorer defrost not working correctly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 explorer defrost not working correctly

justanother1

Reaction score
City, State
Dover, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT; 97 XLT
Defrost takes forever to clear the windshield and there is a lot of heat coming out passenger front side of center console vent. I had replaced the blend door actuator about 2 years ago and removed the air recirculating door (behind glove box, above blower fan). Not sure what the problem is. Anyone have the same problem? How do I fix this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

plasticseng, thanks for the link. I pulled the stereo and found the issue as indicated in the link. Unfortunately, I can't fix it without tearing the dash out because the rod is broken off the housing. Guess that means a new flapper.

You can definitely rig it up to work by getting glove box out of your way and attacking it that way. I rigged mine using some sheet metal and a small bolt and nut as mentioned on other threads about this problem. You may even be able to attach the actuator rod with a cable tie if you are lucky and have enough material on broken plastic tab that broke. Keep searching similar threads. Lots of info on this issue. It can be done

ROBinGA I do not believe I can get to the defrost flapper through the glove box.

I have to get the flapper out to even think about rigging a fix. Most likely I'll buy a new one and install it when I get time to pull the dash out. Anyone find a good deal on the defrost flapper?

I took a couple minutes and found out that if we back the temp knob off by just over 1 line / notch, more air comes out the defrost vents. What is the cause of this?

Just to let everyone know how I fixed this. The crank / rod for the defrost & recirculating flaps had a tab broken off on the end that goes into the flaps. After pulling the dash free enough to get the defrost assembly out, I removed the flap, drilled in through the end into the flap, & installed a 2 1/2 - 3" screw. Must drill before installing screw or the plastic will break (found out because I didn't drill the first 1 before attempting to install the screw). Hopefully this will keep the crank / rod together. The defrost assembly cost at about $300 from what I found doing a Google search.

Since doing this, there is a lot more air coming out the defrost vent. There is still air that comes out the front sides of the center console. Wife says the air doesn'the burn her leg like it did before fixing this. We don't know how long this issue was there.

Back