• Register Today It's free!

heater doesnt work

xlt007

Reaction score
City, State
Cheyenne Wy
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
ok my heater just stopped working, it blows cold air but it wont blow hot air.. i dsont know why can anyone help?? its a 2000 explorer xlt 4.0 sohc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have hot water flowing through the heater core?

Is your engines temperature instrument reading normally?

do a search for blend door is seams to be a commom problem.

IMHO......check the engine temp......sometimes it's "T-stat that is stuck open"............replace it. Or clogged heater........so, flush it.

And,

Sometimes, it's a stuck blend door or it's the Ac/Heater, "head unit."

Aloha, Mark

Heater tests

xlt007 said:
ok my heater just stopped working, it blows cold air but it wont blow hot air.. i dsont know why can anyone help?? its a 2000 explorer xlt 4.0 sohc
Couple checks, first verify that your antifreeze is up to level. If you are quite low on coolant it will not circulate through the heater core. Also verify as you move the control from full hot to cold you should be able to hear a slight difference in the sound especially if the fan is on high.
I see while i was responding someone else also mentioned verify the operation of the door...
Having done that verify that your engine is warming up properly.. Stuck thermostat? Then put your hands on the two heater hoses with it warmed up and running. If both of them are not hot, you have a circulation problem. Check to make sure the water valve did not get stuck off. If the valve is ok then the Heater core may be plugged. Let us know your results.

not 100% my 96 has the OEM door and it has never failed nor been repaired, 153K miles :)

Yet.

The door is a mediocre design, molded in the cheapest possible plastic. The aftermarket Chinese-made replacement door is easily three times the strength, due to the use of fiber-impregnated plastic. I can tell you this, since it is stiffer, it seals better at full cold and full hot than the OE door ever did.

I "thought" the heater blend door issue was for the 2nd Gen. Ford Explorers......cause, FORD installed the "wrong" part??

I'm pretty sure the problem with the defective one is that, during manufacturing, they put the wrong door in. They used the one for the auto climate control with the manual control setup. The door was not the right size and falls over causing it to jam or break. The replacement has the right door in it.

This is what Ford told me.

Aloha, Mark

PS..............I read it on the internet (the above quote)..............anyway, here is the thread on HOW TO FIX THE DOOR:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59787&page=1&pp=20&highlight=blend+door

Back