Heater hose routing

Jason94sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 EB V8
Does it matter which heater hoses go to the valve to the heater core? I bypassed mine but will need to put it back before selling the X.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, the water can flow either direction on the heater core..

If you have a Heater control valve (vacuum valve that bypasses the heater core when your on max a/c) then it will matter as the valve has a definate in/out.

As far as I know, those weren't installed until '94 (That the year I have to give the parts guy when I added it to our '92).

If you have that valve.. The heater hose from the intake is the out of the engine (goes into the heater core/valve) and the hose on the water pump is the in to the engine (out from the heatercore/valve)

~Mark

So which way does the water flow through the heater core? I will be disconnecting my heater core this spring and want to put a coolant filter on during the summer months. Since there's a g'zin and g'zout on the filter housing... I need to know. Does the coolant flow out from the top (near t-stat) and out to the bottom (at water pump), or is it the other way around?

Its better to base it on where the hose connects to the engine than on the heater core.

It from from the top of the engine (intake) to the heater core then back to the water pump.. Soo.. Put that filter between the intake manifold and the heater core.. and if flows "from" the intake "to" the heater core.

~Mark

Thanks Mark. My coolant filter inlet will be from the hose off the t-stat and the filter outlet will exit to the water pump. Now all that I have to do is wait for summer!

If you are bypassing the heater core, that is correct.

If you are keeping the heater core in the circuit.. You take the hose from the intake manifold and put that to the inlet on the filter. The outlet of the filter will then go towards the heater core...

~Mark

does anyone have pictures of this routing????

Back