Heater not working/making clicking sound when heat is on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heater not working/making clicking sound when heat is on

DirtySanchito

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Ford Explorer
Hey guys, I know my truck has a lot of problems, but thanks for sticking with me and giving me great advice! now, that being said, I have a big problem with the heater. I got the t-stat fixed, and now that i finally need to use my heat because i'm in illinois and its extremely cold right now, i noticed that it is not working! when i turn the dial to heat, it makes a weird clicking noise and wont turn hot, and the defroster doesn't seem to heat up either. now, i talked to a family friend who happens to be a mechanic and he had said that a gear that switches the cold to heat is stripped out and that is what is causing the clicking noise. But i figured that i would get on here and ask advice from the people who always seem to have great advice about everything imaginable! So, anyone know if this is the true problem? And if it is not, does anyone know what the true problem is? And how an inexperienced DIY can do it himself? And a second question, the vents for the second row of seating (located on the center console above the cup holders) doesn't blow out any air at all. so i was wondering if anyone knew how to fix that as well.. i appreciate any help that can be given! thanks guys! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No heat and clicking

"i talked to a family friend who happens to be a mechanic and he had said that a gear that switches the cold to heat is stripped out and that is what is causing the clicking noise. But i figured that i would get on here and ask advice from the people who always seem to have great advice about everything imaginable! So, anyone know if this is the true problem?"

He is correct mine did the same thing, you will need to follow this procedure by BigRondo and remove the air blend actuator - I didn't cut the panel (there are pictures on Page 8 that shows the teeth sheared off of the gear that is turned by the worm gear (brass gear) motor:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294140&highlight=heat

Once removed, look at the code similar to this code (my code on my '02 Explorer) 2L2Z-19E616-CB (no longer produced). Go to:

http://www.dormanproducts.com/gsear...:parttype=Air%20Door%20Actuator&type=parttype

If you have manual controls, compare the picture and ensure the stems and connector match. I bought mine for $49.99 at O'Reilly as they priced matched Autozone. Unless you want the Ford part for about double the price.

i talked to a family friend who happens to be a mechanic and he had said that a gear that switches the cold to heat is stripped out and that is what is causing the clicking noise. But i figured that i would get on here and ask advice from the people who always seem to have great advice about everything imaginable! So, anyone know if this is the true problem? And if it is not, does anyone know what the true problem is? And how an inexperienced DIY can do it himself? And a second question, the vents for the second row of seating (located on the center console above the cup holders) doesn't blow out any air at all. so i was wondering if anyone knew how to fix that as well.. i appreciate any help that can be given! thanks guys! :D
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sounds like you have a bad "blend door actuator". A cheaply made, small plastic gear inside of this actuator breaks off a few teeth and stops rotating the blend door when you switch from cold to hot temp settings. Do you hear a thumping or clunking noise coming from behind the dashboard when you switch from cold to hot with the defroster on? If you do, it's the actuator. Below is a link to a great post and photo's by "BigRondo" on how to replace the blend door actuator. The part/ blend door actuator cost around $80- $90 at a Ford dealership. BTW, this actuator tends to fail while set to the cold side temp setting, thats why you don't notice it till you switch over to the hot side for heat. Also, I recommend you buy a Ford actuator, not many good reports on the aftermarket ones, and use your VIN number when purchasing it from a Ford dealership. Your VIN ensures you get the right part for your vehicle.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=294140

Try this link below for the blower vent problem you have.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284042

I concur with Exproblems! ;)

Just had this repair done on my sons '04.. Same symptoms as described.

Just had this repair done on my sons '04.. Same symptoms as described.
How much was it? I couldn't really locate the arm on passenger sidea without removing top front of center console and some duct work, once I located it I drilled a hole with a unibit so I can put my finger in to move arm manually. Up for ac and down for heat. Only cost a little bit of time.

How much was it? I couldn't really locate the arm on passenger sidea without removing top front of center console and some duct work, once I located it I drilled a hole with a unibit so I can put my finger in to move arm manually. Up for ac and down for heat. Only cost a little bit of time.
I spent about $400 to get it done. Since my teenage son drives it I wanted it done right. If just me, I would have gotten creative. lol!

Off topic , what is symbol left of temp and left of cal? 03 explorer

20190121_195210.jpg

The symbol is your direction, in this case north. The cal may indicate that the compass may need to be calibrated.

Thanks I figured out how to calibrate compass last night after asking, didn't realize or remember I had a conpass, I wasn't thinking it was an "N" thought it looked like a temperature or choke sign.

Back