Heater problems, not the blend door, what else could it be | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heater problems, not the blend door, what else could it be

maagk

Reaction score
City, State
Greensburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Eddie Bauer
Hello all, last winter everyone was SO helpful with the blend door problem but after MANY MANY attempts to do the blend door fix, alas, I still do not have heat and winter is coming on. I have a 1996 Eddie Bauer, 6 cyl. Anyway, if anyone has any other ideas as to what could be the problem. I have pulled the acutator out, it works and I have drilled holes and inserted the brad up in 4 different spots on the pin. I cannot afford to sell and buy another truck for at least another year. Any and all ideas are requested.
Thanx in advance, maagk

I just got done with a heater core change and got a good look at the blend door. Mine was alright but what it looks like to me was an engineering error in which the stroke on the actuator over extends the blend door limits and it tears up the inside of where the actuator meshes with the blend door hinge. What you can do (I'm guessing you have strictly AC) is replace the plenum (From what I've seen I'm assuming you can't just replace the door) which is kind of an extensive job but at least it will be fixed. Another option is to remove the actuator and try to force a screw driver (I know its real tight up there) or something that will fit and manually turn the door, If its stuck on AC, turning CCW will open it to heat. At least it will give you heat for the winter.

Your heater valve feeding the heater core is working...right?

Back