• Register Today It's free!

Heater revisited

hooligan

Reaction score
City, State
the nutmeg state
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05
HI I am new to posting here but I have been reading the threads for hours, here is my delemia, I think i have a problem with the heater in the 05 explorer. Here is where I am:
in the heat mode, the fan on 4 (HI) the temp on HOT and the selection knob on panel, i get heat out of the panel, and some out of the floor registers
Everything the same but the selector in panel/feet there is no difference. If I select feet, I get alot of heat out of the feet registers, and some out of the defroster, if I select feet/defroster, I get no difference, in full defrost i get no difference. It is as if I have two options the left side of OFF in the panel and the feet, and on the right side of the OFF I have feet and defroster. I have taken it all apart, the two selector vacuum actuators are working, the electric motor is actuating the door for the temp correctly, it seems that the door actuated by the floor actuator, never closes off the floor completley, I understand this may be for the rear heater ducts but I would think that the selector would direct the air as per the knob? I also was able to stick my fat little finger in the floor duct when the door is closed.

do I have an issue? It seems that everything is operating correctly but the air is not going where it should...........

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

HI I am new to posting here but I have been reading the threads for hours, here is my delemia, I think i have a problem with the heater in the 05 explorer. Here is where I am:
in the heat mode, the fan on 4 (HI) the temp on HOT and the selection knob on panel, i get heat out of the panel, and some out of the floor registers
Everything the same but the selector in panel/feet there is no difference. If I select feet, I get alot of heat out of the feet registers, and some out of the defroster, if I select feet/defroster, I get no difference, in full defrost i get no difference. It is as if I have two options the left side of OFF in the panel and the feet, and on the right side of the OFF I have feet and defroster. I have taken it all apart, the two selector vacuum actuators are working, the electric motor is actuating the door for the temp correctly, it seems that the door actuated by the floor actuator, never closes off the floor completley, I understand this may be for the rear heater ducts but I would think that the selector would direct the air as per the knob? I also was able to stick my fat little finger in the floor duct when the door is closed.

do I have an issue? It seems that everything is operating correctly but the air is not going where it should...........

I too am having this same problem on my '02 XLT...only mine blows air out of feet regardless of where the selector is set at except for "OFF". I have noticed very little air flow out of the defroster when chosen but no matter where the selector is (panel, defrost, blend) it ALWAYS blows out of the two side ducts (feet) in the floor console.
Can someone direct me to a solution? I have been reading different posts related to this but this one only reflected my issue and there were no replies.
Thanks for any help!

Hi,
I followed the link you provided, checked the vacuum lines and all appear intact and connected. All functions still working but air still blows out the ducts on the front sides of the console regardless of where the selector is set. Any thoughts other suggestions?

might be a bad vacuum motor...or the maybe the rod from the motor to the selector is broken...i took half my dash apart today to see what was going on...when i select the defrost and/or the feet mode on my heater control it blows out of both the top and bottom...i found the vacuum motor behind the cluster that had a broken rod so the motor works but doesnt do its job...the other thing i found is the fresh air/recirculator door doesnt work due to the hinge on that is broken also...pain in the ass but im guessing i have to take apart the dash to get to these parts...sux:thumbdwn:

Would you be able to post some pics of what you were looking at?

i put everything back...sux big time but i need to take dash apart to even attempt to get these parts...ill try and post pics whenever i get to it...

Back