Heavier Oil to reduce cold OHV clatter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heavier Oil to reduce cold OHV clatter

acschilling

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
I gotta let the 92 warm up at least 10-15 in the morning because of the valve clatter...I was curious if running a heavy oil will quiet this down? Like 15w or something?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You want heavier oil for warmer climates and thinner for cold climates to temperature compensate for extreme weather. For most places, the stock 5w-30 is correct.

I live in Alaska and can tell you unless you are in subzero temps for the season, this trick really doesn't work so well and can actually hurt you since the thicker oil takes longer to flow to cold and dry engine and will result in less longevity. Having said that, I have tried what you suggest and I found no noticeable difference.

I did get a slightly quieter noise by switching to Amsoil or Texas Tea 100% synthetic oils. The only real cure is to swap out hard parts and clean the lifters. Overall, a thorough tuneup can clear up pinging and ticking, in most cases, but the only fix for worn parts are fresh ones.

In general, it's best to use 5W-30 in the OHV V6. The thinner viscosity at lower temps helps the oil get to the parts it needs to.

A thicker viscosity can reduce valvetrain noise, something like a 10W-30, but generally you'd only want to do this in the spring/summer at warmer temps.

The exception to this may be full synthetic oils, some of them are on the thin side for a 5W-30, and the 10W-30 is closer to the weight of a conventional 5W-30. Confusingly, some other synthetic 0W-30 oils are thicker than a conventional 5W-30. If you're using conventional oil though, 5W-30 is what you want for a cool climate, and especially in the cold of winter.

Going to a 15W-40 is asking for trouble. A 10W-40 is the absolute thickest oil you'd probably want to use, and even then, that would be for hot, hot climates.

If the valvetrain clatter is from the worn out rockers, there's nothing that's really going to fix it other than new rockers and maybe pushrods, too. If it's from something else (leaky intake gasket, vacuum leak, worn ignition parts) then the culprit needs to be addressed.

Right on. Appreciate the responses. I'm running Mobile1 10w-30 synthetic right now. Once the truck is warm she sounds like a normal OHV. Being 22 though things are probably getting worn out.

I run 10W-50...mainly cause I have oil leaks around the pan & rear main. It never gets cold here & it's not a DD.

I run castrol syntech 10-40

Right on. Appreciate the responses. I'm running Mobile1 10w-30 synthetic right now. Once the truck is warm she sounds like a normal OHV. Being 22 though things are probably getting worn out.

A can of Engine Restore quieted my lifters.

A can of Engine Restore quieted my lifters.

Maybe helped the lifters but once those parts get worn there is nothing you can add to make up for it

Maybe helped the lifters but once those parts get worn there is nothing you can add to make up for it

Did I say that it would repair worn parts ?

Did I say that it would repair worn parts ?

Did I say "repair"..no said make up for it..meaning that crap will not make up for the worn space that cause it to slap/tap/tick..that stuff is CRAP!!! It clugs oil passage ways and causes low oil pressure to reach the valve train, so in turn will cause more damage to them.I ran it and it did just that and then clogged my oil pump screen causing no oil pressure, which was why I did the very first rebuild many years ago..

Did I say "repair"..no said make up for it..meaning that crap will not make up for the worn space that cause it to slap/tap/tick..that stuff is CRAP!!! It clugs oil passage ways and causes low oil pressure to reach the valve train, so in turn will cause more damage to them.I ran it and it did just that and then clogged my oil pump screen causing no oil pressure, which was why I did the very first rebuild many years ago..

Second that. Killed my beloved 68 Ford Fairlane wagon with motor honey.

+3 Biggest band-aid of them all, engine rebuilders love that "miracle in a can" ****. BUT WAIT... IF YOU ORDER NOW... :roll:

Back