• Register Today It's free!

Helix Throttlebody Spacer ?

noahchilders

Reaction score
City, State
KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
Has anyone ever tryed on of there ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TB spacers don't do much of anything on direct fuel injection applications, except drain your wallet.

Figured i would try one of these so we could all see what the difference would be.
Every time i fill up my tank i reset the trip so i can monitor my mileage. I average 244 or so for the 16-ish gallons before the Check Gage light comes on.
After installing the TB spacer i made it to 275 before the check light came on.
30 more miles out of my tank makes the $90 worth it to me.

Figured i would try one of these so we could all see what the difference would be.
Every time i fill up my tank i reset the trip so i can monitor my mileage. I average 244 or so for the 16-ish gallons before the Check Gage light comes on.
After installing the TB spacer i made it to 275 before the check light came on.
30 more miles out of my tank makes the $90 worth it to me.

One tank? Not very scientific and likely a result of other factors. You'll be back to 244 in due course. I've never seen ANY proof that a TBS anything to fuel injected vehicles, and particularly Explorers. Even self-professed "Mileage King", Aldive ditched his TBS a long time ago when he realized they do squat.

Sorry man, but you could have done better things with the $90.

p.s. nice job waking up an 8 year old thread (almost to the day). I think that's a record. ;)

in theroy it gives you a longer intake runner, which should give you a little more power... if you wan to try it and dont want to pay the "$90" make one out of wood.

in theroy it gives you a longer intake runner, which should give you a little more power... if you wan to try it and dont want to pay the "$90" make one out of wood.

Are you talking about a "Throttle Body Spacer" (like he was) or an "Upper Intake Spacer" (like I think you might be)?

One tank? Not very scientific and likely a result of other factors. You'll be back to 244 in due course. I've never seen ANY proof that a TBS anything to fuel injected vehicles, and particularly Explorers. Even self-professed "Mileage King", Aldive ditched his TBS a long time ago when he realized they do squat.

Sorry man, but you could have done better things with the $90.

p.s. nice job waking up an 8 year old thread (almost to the day). I think that's a record. ;)

Ha, i didn't even see the date on it.
It's not my first tank, but it's not the 10th either. And i know most everyone frowns on them. I also don't see many people trying them out to see what happens. I'm still in my return policy so i can always send it back.

I have no idea where a dyno is around here otherwise i would look into testing it there.

Are you talking about a "Throttle Body Spacer" (like he was) or an "Upper Intake Spacer" (like I think you might be)?

I bought a throttle body spacer, not an intake spacer

My question is directed at "msilver". He seemed to be describing a UI spacer re: fuel runners. A UI spacer is completely different mod and one that people actually believe in and use. I can't be certain how well my UI spacer worked because it was installed the same time as my headers so the truck was night and day difference before/after. How much is attributable to the spacer is debatable since the headers are such a great mod on the 5.0.

Making a UI spacer out of wood isn't desirable. Just ask "Turdle". :D

I still say a TB spacer is a waste of coin. Aldive had one on his "Mileage Monster" for a while and finally removed it. If someone as **** about mileage as Al removes a mod, you know it doesn't work. He's tried everything.

If you can, try and mount it before the MAF sensor. I am interested how much effect it would have on the MAF sensor and drivability. The reason for the spacer was to apply a supercharged or Ram Air effect that would force air in to the cylinders. I have heard good and bad things about them. It's you money, spend it like you want.

Throttle body "benefits"

If you can, try and mount it before the MAF sensor. I am interested how much effect it would have on the MAF sensor and drivability. The reason for the spacer was to apply a supercharged or Ram Air effect that would force air in to the cylinders. I have heard good and bad things about them. It's you money, spend it like you want.

My opinions:

Throttle body spacers are designed to fit between the throttle body outlet and the intake manifold inlet. They are useful to match an oversize throttle body with an existing manifold. I made one for the 75mm throttle body I installed on my SOHC V6. If the appropriate thickness a throttle body spacer is another way to eliminate throttle cable slack. I suspect most of the reported performance gains from fuel injected engine throttly body spacers is due to eliminating throttle cable slack allowing the throttle plate to achieve WOT when the accelerator is fully depressed.

Intake manifold spacers seem like a useful device to increase low engine speed torque by lengthening the intake port. For metal intake manifolds a non-metallic spacer may result in a slightly cooler intake air temperature due to heat insulating properties.

A throttle body spacer will have a different bolt pattern than a MAF sensor. Some MAF sensors need tube parallel air flow to read accurately. Tight turns immediately prior to the MAF sensor should be avoided. Increasing the length of the inlet tube prior to the MAF sensor will not have any RAM effect.

i was thinkin a throttle body spacer, but you could make a intake spacer out of wood if you want

i was thinkin a throttle body spacer, but you could make a intake spacer out of wood if you want

You could use wood if you want it to burn up, right Jon? ;)

Commercial ones are made of phenolic material for a reason. :D
Posted via Mobile Device

Have a buddy that made them out of thick plexi glass that is used for the bullet proof glass in currency exchanges/gas stations.

Back