Hello Everyone - 2000 Explorer XLT 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hello Everyone - 2000 Explorer XLT 5.0

Ben Basso

Reaction score
City, State
Macomb, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLT V8
Hi All,

I recently bought a 2000 Explorer XLT with the 5.0 off of my uncle (original owner) with 155k on the clock. Truck is in really good shape, but its been out of service for the last 2 years or so due to a random misfire/lean codes. My uncle has been throwing O2 sensors among other parts at this thing and it is still there. So question is, who all has dealt with a cooked ECU and how did you fix it?

A buddy of mine and I diagnosed that the O2 sensor heater circuit of the ECU isn't working and it is causing the O2 to have a false reading and throwing P1131 and P1132 (lean/rich) codes. We disconnected it and the truck is running off of bank 2 sensor 1 for now and it seems ok, but I'd like to get the problem solved entirely. This is a PATS vehicle and I know I have to work around that somehow. I can get a replacement 5.0 ECU cheap but what does it take to make it work on my truck? Or can I reflash my current ECU?

Thanks!

Ben

Back