Hello everyone!!! 2001 explorer Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hello everyone!!! 2001 explorer Question

minnow

Reaction score
City, State
Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
I will soon be the owner of a 2001 explorer (I got a great deal from my father in law) and I have a question. I haven't went and picked it up yet so I don't really know which kind of explorer it is except that it is a 2001 4x4, with around 120,000 miles. It has been serviced pretty well (I'm guessing) they live in the city and do not tow anything. The problem is, he says it make a "roaring" sound while driving on the interstate, it doesn't make this sound while driving slower on side streets. When it first started making the roaring, he carried it to a shop (dealer or not I don't know) and they told him it needed a rear-end, and it would be extremly expensive ($$$?), so he decided to just purchase a new car and offer me and my wife a great deal on his explorer. I don't want to chance anymore damage, so I'm going to haul it home (2 hour trip). My question is do you think it may just be low of fluid?
Anyway sorry to ramble on, you guys seem to have a terrific site. Nice to meet you!!!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like it could be the pinion bearing. I think there was a TSB on this from ford, might have been for the 2002 though. If you can do the work yourself it wouldn't cost much, just parts.

Rear diff work can be technically involved and depending on the job, requires special tools. If it is indeed the rear diff, if you aren't experienced with those repairs, I would suggest taking it to someone who is. It could be cheaper in the long run.

thanks guys. I've never worked on a rear diff, so I think I'll take your advice and take it to the shop. I have a sable with a blown head gasket at the shop know, so the I know the repairman pretty well :( His business will be good this january :rolleyes:

A junk yard might be your new best friend. I picked up a front diff with 48K miles on it for $200. Came with a 30 day warranty. Much easier to swap the whole thing for a used part then to rebuild it.

Back