Hello Everyone / 2002 5R55E tail shaft question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hello Everyone / 2002 5R55E tail shaft question

Chevy33

Reaction score
City, State
Newnan, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Blazer
I am new to this forum and I have problems accessing the search in all forums on this tablet I use. I am able to open the search however when the keypad opens the search window closes. Please pardon my inquiry before doing a search.
I was brought a 2002 4.0l 2 wd explorer automatic xlt that has a gurling sound at shifts. I pulled the drive shaft and can feel perpendicular play on the trans tail or output shaft.
I would like to know the bushing/bearing for this shaft is replaced by removing the tailshaft housing or through the case. Thanks in advance if you can advise me.

I don't have much time tonight to sift though my literature, however here are two diagrams detailing the bushings, seals, and bearings.

bearings.jpg

seals.jpg

Hope this gets you on the right track.

-Dubya

Thanks for the diagrams

Dubya, I appreciate the images.

Before this was brought to me another shop replaced the differential and the rear pass wheel bearing @ a total cost of $1,800.00 and the original complaint still exists. I had the rear end up and rotating passenger wheel and a vibration was noticed. I took off the rear pass tire to get balanced. Same vibration with newly balanced wheel. Using stethoscope I can hear a deep grinding sound @ tail shaft but it is not constant. More noticeable @up and down shift. Fluid is leaking and with the output shaft movement I'm concerned about the output bearing. What I need to know is if the tail shaft will come out the back or do I need to dig to the bottom of the case to replace this bearing?

I spent some more time looking, and it seems as though the output shaft can in fact be slipped out from the rear of the transmission (after the extension housing has been removed). However, there is a snap ring retaining the output shaft that needs to be released on the inside of the housing - it appears as though it will need to be dug through from within.

I hope that helps.

-Dubya

Back