• Register Today It's free!

Hello Everyone

GB1977

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer XLT
Just purchased a 2010 Ford Explorer XLT yesterday. It seems like it's going to be a nice vehicle. There are a couple "bugs" to work out, that I'm sure I'll need pointed in the right direction, such as the cruise control isn't working, and the air conditioning blows really well for a couple minutes, then stops, then starts again....

My first questions have to do with maintenance though. I'm hoping to take this on a 2,000+ mile road trip. Obviously, I want to handle any maintenance beforehand. Looking through the scheduled maintenance, I'm a bit shocked that they aren't calling for the spark plugs to be changed. My question is this....If you just purchased this vehicle, what would you make sure was handled before a road trip? According to the car fax, it's been to the dealership almost it's whole life for PM work...But I'm only seeing oil changes, air filters and a power steering flush being done. It has 120,000 miles on it.

Thanks for any insight!

Get a complete tune up: plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, coolant flush, transmission flush, differential flush and fill, tire rotation, multi-point inspection of all components, oil change, all fluids topped off, battery voltage check, alignment check (if you think it needs it)
Now, all this being done by a mechanic can cost over $500.
But, it gives you peace of mind that your 2010 will be running great for a long time.

Thanks Machine! I'll definitely take the advice. I want to keep this a long time. I'll post more in the correct forum.

Welcome. Just to add to the list to do I would also replace the serpentine belt, & replace the thermostat when replacing the coolant.

Back