• Register Today It's free!

Hello from Arkansas

Arkie71

Reaction score
City, State
N.W. ARKANSAS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 EXPLORER XLT V8-AWD
New to the forums. Found you guys by accident when learning a bit more about my new acquisition. I recently purchased my nieces green 1996 XLT V8 AWD. 187,000 miles on it and in really good shape overall for $1200. Paint is awesome and the exterior is great except for a slight upward bend on one corner of the bumper. A good deal I think. I believe it has the tow package as well since I see a transmission radiator as well as the regular one. The 2 front windows aren't rolling down and the locks have various problems but I will get to them if they aren't beyond my capabilities. Replaced 2 of the dashboard lights that were out after a quick youtube lesson on getting to them, and recently painted the grill and lighting trim on front matte black. Finally got a project vehicle and I think I've lucked out with the model I got. Lube guy I took it to before I bought it said it was one of the nicest and cleanest ones he's seen for being 20 years old at least under the hood and underneath. Got an oil leak above the exhaust which causes a burning oil smell when I park it, but so light that there isn't one spot in the driveway. Was told it was probably the oil pan gasket. Anyway that is me and my new rig. Can't wait to start improving and tinkering with it. Living in the Ozarks with my wife and adult and teenage kids. My son is handcrafting knives and I will post some if anyone might be interested in the future. He does a lot of hand file work on the blades and uses high carbon steel as well as certain reclaimed old files. Boy is a natural with the hand and file work. He uses belt sanders and grinders for roughing stuff out mostly. I tend to collect hobbies and interests and have indeed forgotten more than I can off handedly remember. It's all there, it just pops out. Usually with me first saying "well,... actually" and then the next thing you know I am explaining in earnest something in way too much detail for casual conversation and more suited for a classroom. I love diy projects and I hate to spend money. Like the dash lights. Quoted $110 at the local Precision Tune. $8 and an hour and a half later I did it myself. Cool to find such a model specific forum. Peace :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome.

thanks

Thanks. Actually it's sooie, the number of o's optional :)

Back