Hello from CA - UHAUL dream crusher - thanks | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hello from CA - UHAUL dream crusher - thanks

As a Ford Explorer Owner or not, were you aware of the non-rental by UHAUL to Ford Explorers?

• Yes, I was aware...

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • No, I was not aware...

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
I would demand to pull all the covers Inc the timing cover and oil pan be for buying its the only way

Besides I thought you have a 5.0?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do. I’ve also got a parts 5.0 parked next to the garage.

I’m certain the transmission or motor is shot, there’s zero damage and 120k on it.

Make quick vid put the phone on the ground in front of the truck then start it like normal let it idle then rev it a few times so we can hear it
The start and rev will tell us tons
sure but it has been raining non stop today! As soon as it gets back I plan to do it so it will be warm then when I do it which is when it happens most.

Make quick vid put the phone on the ground in front of the truck then start it like normal let it idle then rev it a few times so we can hear it
The start and rev will tell us tons
sure but it has been raining non stop today! As soon as it gets back I plan to do it so it will be warm then when I do it which is when it happens most.
I would demand to pull all the covers Inc the timing cover and oil pan be for buying its the only way

Besides I thought you have a 5.0?
No, I have the 6 cyl and the noise is mostly when it warms up. It hums beautiful when its cold however! Start up makes a noise when its a warm start but its not that bad. I have to be accelerating to hear the rattling. I mean in gear and driving that is why i tried to make the video but got wind noises. I could back off the gas and the noise would go away but not so much any more its getting worse. Now I can hear it when foot is on the brake just idling.

I am not very sure if I have a trans cooler. I already ordered the tensioners. Now I am confused.??

The mercury mountaineer is identical and uhaul will rent to that car, some people have been lucky telling uhaul they own a mountaineer. Another option is to rent or borrow a vehicle to get the uhaul then use your vehicle to move. Welcome to the forum.
@Josh P
In our case, Uhaul had a weight/size limit. Told them I was trailering a small Honda car. Picked up trailer using my pickup, drove to our farm, put Explorer on trailer. Picked up rental truck, hooked up, towed trailered Ex from MO to AZ no sweat. imp

If it rattling on startup change the tensioner s

If it's rattling while driving at 2000 to 3000 rpm
It's the crankshaft to jackshaft tensioner .....big job not so much to worry about. ....

If it sounds like this it's broken guides

Startup rattle sounds like this

Belt tensioner cheep sounds like this

I am not very sure if I have a trans cooler. I already ordered the tensioners. Now I am confused.??
Confused about what? I don’t think you can see the trans cooler on the third gens because a it’s between the condenser and radiator. I could be wrong about that.

How many miles are on the truck?

I’m not sure I’d have ordered tensioners yet. Did you talk to anyone about installing the tensioners for you? Link to the parts you bought?

You can always ask any questions you want to

Here is a vid of what the engine sounds like normally

Only buy the tensioner s from ford sorry the cheap ones are crap
If the harmonic balancer is wobbling its most likely bad change it

If you can please post a vid of the sounds people will be able to help you much faster

Here is the noise when warmed up and idling in park. There is no noise when engine is cold. There is an aweful noise when you warm start it but i could not get it to happen today. The scary noise is upon accelerating like on a freeway but it almost sounds pingy! Listen and let me know what you think it can be. Oh its the 6 cyl 4.0 motor on my 2003 XLT

Sorry the constant rain has made it hard to get any other video driving believe me i tried and i get wind noise or rain noise. Let me know if this helps. Thank you.

@Josh P
In our case, Uhaul had a weight/size limit. Told them I was trailering a small Honda car. Picked up trailer using my pickup, drove to our farm, put Explorer on trailer. Picked up rental truck, hooked up, towed trailered Ex from MO to AZ no sweat. imp
Thank you - I have to put the explorer on trailer behind a uhaul truck. I am looking into various other means. appreciate all help, thanks.

i have 142K on my truck. I have ordered the tensioners and my friend and I are going to do the work down at his place. It seems fairly easy, we watched videos on how to do it and we will follow along with the repair manual as well. I wanted to know if I have to run over to Pep Boys or Auto Zone and pick up any gaskets like the thermo housing and will there be any more I should have in advance that you all know of?

If it rattling on startup change the tensioner s

If it's rattling while driving at 2000 to 3000 rpm
It's the crankshaft to jackshaft tensioner .....big job not so much to worry about. ....

If it sounds like this it's broken guides

Startup rattle sounds like this

Belt tensioner cheep sounds like this

I can say it sounds like the broken guides but this is similar to my noise but only when warmed up not cold. It definitely rattles at 2000 to 3000 rpm or when accelerating more then street driving, like getting on a fwy or trying to speed up to pass. It has an occasional start up rattle when warm start and cold start but doesn't do it all the time. Now I am freaking out about my guides...how bad is that and how big of a job as well as what will that run me? my tummy is trying to escape through my throat right now and I will sit on edge of my seat until someone can give me the run down on that! Thank you for the videos they are good and informative!

Hey guys, I am curious to know if you listened to the video? If its going to be expensive to repair, just let me know, I get that. Although I do not have any money right now I am sure I can sell it off to a mechanic or someone who is going to have to be aware of the cost to fix it. I can even trailer it to new mexico and it can sit there until I can come up with the money, once my health is back in order and i can work...its a nice truck and just might even be worth the costs, you know what I mean? I just need to make some decisions accordingly! Just letting you guys know I can handle it.

Sounds to me like a primary crank to jackshaft
Tensioner like keys jingle ing
But
If it rattles at 2 - 3 k rpm a broken rear guide is very likely

could it be both?
Yep
Sounds like primary chain tensioner ....under the timing cover
Don't sound bad to me mine sounded like that drove it for a bit before fixing it and yes it's a big job

Don't sound like a broken guide to me but there is only one way to know pull off the valve covers and look

okay that is very help ful and those vids were great thank you very much. I guess we should move this stuff inside the forums rather then outside edge where new members introduce themselves. But thank you so much

okay that is very help ful and those vids were great thank you very much. I guess we should move this stuff inside the forums rather then outside edge where new members introduce themselves. But thank you so much
Just ask @Rick I'm sure he will move it

So, what happened?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, what happened?
Well the job was just yesterday and it is the same or sounded the same! This noise since just before the post originally has gotten little by little worse and or louder. I just want to break down and cry at times because of the money i spent on this car, fell in love with it, and now the money I do not have to try to save it or keep it! I appreciate your follow up however and I take back the original post where I thought you were being mean as now I see that you are not at all!

So as far as what may be next, my buddy who helps me with my car distress here thinks we should attack the jackshaft? I am not clear what that is but he says parts are about 80 bucks and the job will take him a day, two tops! He thinks the guides for that chain are broken, my guess is that both? chains have broken guides? either way I am scared to death to drive it at all, even back to him to let him have a go at this next big job!

******Oh, on that job of the tensioner(s), the top part pulled out of the engine near the thermostat housing was hard to push in as I saw them trying but they said something was wrong with it that it did not push in correctly! I saw the new part was easier to push in! Seems like the old part was the more desireable part if it did not push in easily? As for the second part in the block under the heads and back by the firewall, I did not notice the part that was pulled out. They told me it was better than the malfunctioning part which they pulled out of the top of my engine. Either way the parts were installed and if I am not cuckoo as they say I am - I would almost say the problem is louder or the noises are louder now! I also think if the first part was harder to push in then the new part, that would be the one I wanted put back in the engine? But, I am just a girl and I get laughed at too by these good friends of mine so I have to trust what they say!

Again, thank you very much for asking and following up! I appreciate this so much and feel less abandoned, something i felt like on my purchase of this truck!

Back