Hello :) Should I Buy This? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hello :) Should I Buy This?

Guitarist575

Reaction score
City, State
Summerville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello, new member to the forums... I will stay if I wind up buying this :)

I found a 1992 Mazda Navajo for $700 (after some talking down)... There are a few things that kinda worry me though...

The truck has a new engine (8000 miles on it) and a new transmission. It has been converted from automatic transmission to manual.
It's a pretty clean-looking conversion, but I'm no mechanic. I would think such a major conversion couldn't be too healthy.

The transmission makes sort of a "growling" sound that gets higher as you climb RPM's, somewhat like the way some race cars do. The owner says it's from installing an aftermarket transmission.
Once you get to second gear, the truck jerks around the lower RPM's. The owner says it needs a tune-up... New plugs and wires...

I'm on a very tight budget and low income and need something reliable. This seems like a good deal, but so far I don't think it sounds too pretty. Think it's going to break on me?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Boy- it sounds like something is wrong with it- and sounds like someone's wife said "sell that stupid truck befoer it breaks again- let someone else worry about it."

My first impression was "dude- new engine and trans... what's the question... but then I read the issues- I think it's messed up. If you're budgeted and can't deal with the hassle, I'd keep looking. Nobody puts $2,000 plus into a truck and sells it for $700. Something's up.

If the engine only has 8,000 miles on it, it shouldn't NEED a tune up yet. This guy is hiding something.

x3 Run! From a value perspective, turn away. The seller is a relative?

welcome

If you're looking for a reliable truck like you said, keep looking. All those problems you notice now aren't a good preview for when you own it and get to know it better.
However, a half decent truck can be found for that price. I got my current ex, a 92 for $500. Needed a clutch, and rust repair, but after that was all taken care of I've got 230k on it (20k are mine) and, knock on wood, I drive it daily.

Thanks everyone, I took the advice and never called the guy back :)

Ok i can tell you that from changing mine from a auto to a manual that it causes no problems on the truck. The noise that tranny is making sounds like mine did a while ago. You most likely would have to replace the bearings in the whole tranny. Been there.

The new engine needing a tune up does worry me.

Its a nice deal for 700 but the question is are you ready to tackle those problems

I bought my 06 used in january of this year:D Found it at a dealership by using Kelly Blue Book http://www.kbb.com/ I like their site cause it lets you narrow it down to your specifics including price:D

he doesn't have the money for a 2006 ...neither do I :(

Sorry for the confusion i ment he could look on kkb.com and get some ideas of what he could afford thats five years old here check this out, He lives in South carolina so i searched under a zip code i found on google for a city called Abbeville, it was the best i could do with out knowing his actual zip code:D its an 1992 4x4 explorer:exp:
http://usedcars.kbb.com/fyc_b/vdp.j...ansmission=&doors=&max_price=5000&cardist=500

everything looks fine on that one except for the driver seat wear and hood paint fade...low miles too 122k, that one for $1,995 is indeed what you should buy I recommend you call the dealer...thx for searching Essex...might help him out...sorry if i sounded rude in my previous post i'm just in a money slump right now and it sucks..

at 8k, it sure as hell doesn't need a tune up. A tune, maybe...but not a tune up.

Keep looking, hey it doesn't hurt to look on KBB Right;), in my local paper they list cars for sale, you could try your local paper for the same. As a side note, i know its $30 bucks but you can get a car fax report that will list all the major, and minor potential problems the car/suv/truck might have:D

What are you looking for specificaly i can do some more searching in my spare time for you

pm me and give me ur zip code, so i can search near where you live, at least within like 50 miles or so

Back