• Register Today It's free!

Hellwig Helper Springs

MikeTEC

Reaction score
City, State
Central Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer 4.6L
Anyone tried Hellwig rear helper springs on their 1996-1997 Explorer for towing? How was the ride quality loaded and unloaded? Thanks! Mike

I have never had the Hellwigs, but I did have others on my '97 Mountaineer before I put airbags on it. Anything that I put on it firmed up the ride some & helped with load capacity, but the rear would still sag with a load of PA & music equipment or with a trailer. I ended up with the airbags & the load controller, and I've been happy with it ever since. At least with the air bags, I can keep the rear higher than the front with a trailer attached so that I can have more steering control in bad weather. The only problem was that at the minimum 10 psi the rear is higher than the front by 1/2" stock, so I compensated with a torsion twist, and now I might have to reverse the trailer hitch drawbar to drop the ball height since I'm having problems driving the boat back onto the trailer even with the airbags at 5 psi as the low pressure sensor is currently set improperly to 5 psi.

If you don't plan to tow or haul a heavy load, the Hellwigs should be fine.

Tongue weight is about 300 lbs and the trailer weighs about 3500 loaded. I think the later models, 95 and up, do not have as much spring weight as the earlier 91-94 models. My 93 sags a little, but not as much as this 96 I just bought. Were your air bags hard to install? Looks like it is necessary to drill through the frame? Mike

Need more input on Hellwig helper springs for towing. Ride quality...Anyone else...? Thanks Mike

Back