HID conversion tommrow. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID conversion tommrow.

Go with the 8000k the blue looks way better than white haha :D

Yeah, always better to be blind in some situations (i.e. rainy/overcast) so you look good doing it.

Whatever floats your boat.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Uh, they'll lower them down.

Not anyone elses fault he'll be able to see.

ya. I get flahsed enough cuz I leave my off-road lights on....

i wanna get 8000k hids for my headlights and 3000k hids for my fogs

dothedew

did u get ur hids installed

Yep I got them installed and all they had with the dual filliment was 10000k. I really like the look though and the visibility is so much better than stock. It was funny though, right when I left the shop, the left headlight stopped working, turned out to be a bad ballast. Just yesterday, I noticed the pasenger side doesnt come on unless you flick the lights on/off 3 or so times. They said I need some relays, so I guess ill do that soon.

But overall I love the lights

Just yesterday, I noticed the pasenger side doesnt come on unless you flick the lights on/off 3 or so times. They said I need some relays, so I guess ill do that soon.

Is that when you're using the autolamps? It's somewhat common during startup with these kits if you do have lights that come on with your ignition. It's a sign that the ballasts aren't getting enough power during startup and can toast your ballasts if you don't do something about it. Get yourself a "relay harness" (which draws power directly from your battery). Many HID kits include such a beast but the cheaper ones don't usually. I'm assuming that your kit is installed directly into your stock wiring and didn't come with the harness.

The way to get around it in the interim is to turn off your autolamp feature and turn your lights on and off the old fashioned way until you get a harness.

See, I dont have the Auto-lamp feature. Just the simple, Off-Parking-Lights switch. I guess just wait for the car to start up and then turn on the lights? Also why only the passenger side?

See, I dont have the Auto-lamp feature. Just the simple, Off-Parking-Lights switch. I guess just wait for the car to start up and then turn on the lights? Also why only the passenger side?

I recently changed my lighting configuration and did away with the relay harness I had used for years. Suddenly my driver's side wouldn't fire all the time and I had to turn them on and off a few times just like yours. This sort of issue shows up in FAQ sections on many HID seller's sites, but is often related to autolamp type features.

I'm not even certain that it's the same issue as mine but it could be similar. (I have since put in a new relay harness and my lights fire every time even with the autolamp). Might be a bad install or faulty components. Then again, a relay harness can't hurt anyhow because drawing power right from the battery is not a bad thing. Relay harnesses all over eBay and the Internet and don't cost too much. Installation is simple even if your kit was already installed by someone else. Pretty much plug and play.

Alright, I just dont want to spend the money if it is a faulty component

dothedew

u got pics of the hids

Alright, I just dont want to spend the money if it is a faulty component

Well, you did say that the people who sold you the kit mentioned you need "relays". That's what the harness does for you.

I told the people that sold me the kit that teh light wasnt coming on correctly, and they said then I need to add relays. But they didnt mention relays until the light started having problems.

And I donthave pix yet, its been raining here every night so far, cant get a good shot. It should be clear tommrow night so Ill try to get soem pix up tommrow night.

I told the people that sold me the kit that the light wasnt coming on correctly, and they said then I need to add relays. But they didnt mention relays until the light started having problems.

Now you'll find out whether they'll stand behind their kits and how much they'll try and rape you for that "privilege". :D

Let us know how it goes.

Ya it should be interesting. They seem like a pretty honest shop though...Its a small little "family-owned" shop, has great reviews.

Pics bro!!

Finally, the pictures have arrived.

Brightness - Shining on my Ram

Explorer-HID037.jpg

Brightness again

Explorer-HID038.jpg

Front

Explorer-HID039.jpg

Side

Explorer-HID040.jpg

Front With Fogs (will be HID soon)

Explorer-HID041.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you aim your lights down at all and are people flashing you

Back