Helper Springs

JoeDirt

Reaction score
City, State
Harrisburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Sport
Hi all...new to the site.

I'm looking to get my 96 sport set up for towing a fairly large boat load 4000+ lbs. I have a 96 sport which, from what I can gather, has a soft rear suspension. I ride pretty low when the whole car is loaded and I've seen the same thing when other explorer sports were in tow.

To stiffen the rear end, I added a full set of Hellwig progressive helper springs.

This will be the first time that I'm towing anything, and I just wanted to see if anyone thought that I may be missing something. I've ordered a receiver and setup from Curt manufacturing...waiting for that to arrive.

Thanks and happy holidays....:D

...forgot to mention that I have the 4.0 V-6...and a general towing question:

When pulling a boat from the ramp, would it be wise or unwise to use 4wd in low gear? We had a boat hauler pull us out a year ago and it looked like he was spinning his rear wheels all the way up the wet ramp.

Good day!:D

id use 4-low for pulling it out of the ramp, but take it out before turning to much on dry pavement. it will give you extra traction and a lot more torque for pulling it out. just make sure to take it out tho, as using it on dry pavement can cause damage to, well, everything. have fun!

Back