• Register Today It's free!

HELP! 01 Sports Trac Overheating

Dawgsfan32

Reaction score
City, State
Pooler,GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
My 01 Sports Trac has started overheating in the last day or so. I bought it used less than a month ago. When I first bought it, I was filling the coolant every few days. Now the coolant is full but I'm overheating. I'm thinking it could be the water pump or possibly thermostat housing. Need your help and suggestions!!
Radiator gets bone dry only after driving and within 20 mins.
Smokes some when driving but when the truck is stopped and engine is cut off the steam pours out.
Did not overheat while running idle for 30 mins.
Heat is working just fine inside the truck. In fact, running the heat helps delay the overheating.
Truck is now making a clicking or knocking noise. The engine is stuttering when I tried to rev.
Your help is greatly appreciated!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you. I am going to try this tomorrow if I can get the parts.
Anyone think it could need a radiator flush or new cap? Or maybe just a new thermostat?

as no one addressed the smoking and steam on shut down and stuttering on throttle i vote more towards the intake manifold gasket

as no one addressed the smoking and steam on shut down and stuttering on throttle i vote more towards the intake manifold gasket
Good point, especially if it's a Job 1 engine. Not a common failure on the Job 2 ST.

Back