Help...02 Explorer Sport New owner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help...02 Explorer Sport New owner

dwil4

Reaction score
City, State
Parts Unknown
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Toyota Tundra
Just bought the 02 Sport.
#1...The rear glass will not shut tight even though it latches. I can put my finger through the cracks. Can I fix that?
#2...The gate itself ,when shut,has a fair amount if "loosness" as well. Can I fix that?
These 2 things create road noise and rattle. Also what exactly is the broken piece around the license plate called so I can try to find one. I appreciate any help you guys can offer.
PS..I have tried to upload a video of the gate loosnes but it says too large and when I resize it ,it attaches but then says.." the file is not a video as expected" WTF? Lol

20211109_173250.jpg 20211109_173404.jpg

Attachments

• 20211109_173250.jpg
    20211109_173250.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 47

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can’t help with any of your questions, but I did move your thread into the Gen2 section, as your Sport is that model even though it’s an 02.

There are supposed to be bushings on the latches, and they tend to break apart and disappear.
This is what you'll likely need: Amazon product ASIN B000COCRHI

I'm still not 100% on the exact name of the trim piece, but rear hatch handle cover seems to work. Can find them on ebay, at at junkyard, and probably a few other places too, weirdly high priced. But heres one I found on ebay that doesn't look too bad

Replacing those should help with that movement. Also clean and lubricate the latches, they can get sticky over time.

Back