• Register Today It's free!

HELP! 92 won't start when hot!!!

88PONY

Reaction score
City, State
Nutley NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Sport
Hi, I have a 92 that will not start when its hot. What I mean is i gotta jump the solinoid. I don't get it, but evertime i try to solve the problem the truck cools down and starts right up. Its driving me crazy and now with summer comming its gonna get worse. Its kinda embarassing jumping the solinoid all the time. Could it be and ignition switch? The trucks automatic by the way.

Thanks;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Um, this might sound too obvious... change the solenoid??? It's a very cheap part, and a 10-minute job.

Mike

I agree, it could be the solenoid isn't working correctly when it gets hot.

They are right, when a solenoid heats up it kind of seizes up if it's about to quit working, when the engine cools off so does the solenoid. Replace the solenoid & your problem will most likely be solved. :)

Ok, there is no power and the red wire blue stripe when this happens, then it cools down a bit then it starts and then obviosley theres power. I replaced the solinoid, but still the same....Maybe the ignition switch??? Or neutral safety switch??? With 210,000 and driving my baby over 600 miles a week and no problems im willing to deal with troubleshooting this :eek:)

Have you tried starting it in neutral when this happens? Sometimes, if a neutral safety switch is going bad, it won't start in park, but will in neutral.

Mike

Try replacing the starter next, may be the brushes are getting really worn, maybe you could also just have the starter rebuilt. Brushes could also have this effect. :)

starter probably, this is common....you might want to build a heat shield for your starter as preventitive maintenance...usually the exhaust pipe goes by the starter, and the bendex in it gets weak...thus, it won't start till it cools down...if this is the problem, you can test next time it won't start....tap the starter with a wrench or hammer a few times, medium hard but don't damage, you might even hear the click of the bendix moving the gear...try to start...it might take a couple times but if this is the case as on most fords, i would make a heat shield when i put a new starter in...

Back