help: 95 explorer tranny shifting problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

help: 95 explorer tranny shifting problems

mad hatter

Reaction score
City, State
Twin Falls, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
My tranny has always shifted hard and a buddy, who is a mechanic, told me its somewhat normal in the explorers. I'm not so sure about that, but now i have another issue. When shifting from first to second the ONLY way it will shift is if i take the rpm's up to 3500-4000 then let off the gas. It also seems to be shifting harder than before and now shifts hard when downshifting. I thought maybe it needed a flush and filter, but that didn't correct the problem. Any ideas on what it may be? If i can't sort it out by tomorrow morning i'm taking it to a tranny shop but would really like to avoid that bill if possible.

Details i almost forgot. It's the 95 XLT 4wd with the 4.0.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your bands are broke, won`t be long and the o/d light will be flashing, that`s what it was with mine, had 140,000 when it happend, around here it was $1,000 to $1,200 to get it rebuilt if I took it out, so I just bought a salvage yard tranny foy $600 with a 1 year warranty.

Mine did the exact same thing. It would not go into 2nd gear because of a broken band. This should be accompanied by a flashing OD light to alert you of the problem.

I fixed mine myself. Parts were less than $200 for everything.

OD light is flashing. I don't have much know how when it comes to transmissions. can fix about anything in a motor, but i crack a tranny open and it's like trying to read french, i just don't get it. Guess its off to the shop for a rebuild. Thanks guys.

Shop told me that 2nd gear is completely gone. Its shifting straight to 3rd. They want way to much to rebuild it so i'm going with a salvage yard tranny for now. Seem to be having the summer of George (seinfeld fans will get that). Been off work for near 3 months now with a broken foot so finances are a big deal right now, otherwise i'd rebuild instead of risking a salvaged tranny.

see if your slavage yard offers a warranty, when I bought mine for $150 extra I got a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty, if it fails I get another tranny with same or lower miles and if one can not be found they get it rebuilt they will also pay $50 an hour up to 8 hours to remove and install the new one. I thought it was a pretty good deal. only 95 and early 96 vin code x tranny will work for you

I have exactly the same shifting problems in my 95. My OD light flashes and it will not shift into third unless I take my foot off of the gas and let it shift. I changed the fluid and filter but that obviously did not fix anything lol.

I don't have the 1000 to get the trans rebuilt, don't have the place to remove and install a used one. Think it's safe if I still continue to drive it?

between myself and the original owner mine was driven almost 6,000 miles before I changed the tranny, but it is never a sure thing how long it will last

Back