• Register Today It's free!

Help Brakes will not pump up!

Bob EX

Reaction score
City, State
Eastlake
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
Hi, everyone I am a newbie to this site, thanks for the vast knowledge I have picked-up from so many of you, I Have (wife) blew a brake line left rear i ahd to replace the entore line from front to back, I then bled the brakes got a good flow of fluid, but brakes sag at first hit they have to pumped up, so I ran the car and locked up the brakes to activate ABS bled it with an Auto-matic bleeder, still sag brake. Replaced master cylander and bench bled, bled brake lines again brakes stop. but have to go to the floor to hit hydraulics, hydraulics are there. but pedal still sags.Is there a trick to this or what not my first time bleeding brakes maybe th 50th so where am i going Wrong, Thank you for any help. BOB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm thinking you have air in the abs unit - the dealer has a machine which they can hook up to it and "exercise" it to work the air out. Don't know of a way to do it manually - maybe somebody here has figured that out.

Hey thanks for the reply exploded 99 the machine your talking about I think we have its a automatic brake bleeder it hooks to the top of the mastercylander and uses air
its like a one man bleeder, theres still air in the lines. we activated the abs system a couple of times then bled the lines, still brake pedal mushes then hits (like a bad mastercylander).

My understanding of the dealer machine is that it uses a programmed sequence of steps to work the various pistons / bores in the abs unit.

A standard power bleeder can't duplicate it. Wish I had a better answer!

Bob EX said:
Hey thanks for the reply exploded 99 the machine your talking about I think we have its a automatic brake bleeder it hooks to the top of the mastercylander and uses air
its like a one man bleeder, theres still air in the lines. we activated the abs system a couple of times then bled the lines, still brake pedal mushes then hits (like a bad mastercylander).

I have one of these pressure bleeders that works off air pressure from a tire. It's called Speedibleed. It's a good unit but will work only if you don't have air in the ABS. As exploded 99 indicated if the ABS has been "compromised" you are pretty much stuck going to the dealer. Specialized procedure and equipment are then required.

Back