HELP cant drive at night. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP cant drive at night.

SigSaurP228

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Limited
I like the explorer alot. I want to drive it but work a 4-12am shift at work. I bought the truck two weeks ago as a back up and family hauler. When I bought the truck it had several jumper wires in the fuse box. (NOT GOOD)

I eliminated all of the jumper wires (two I believe were for an aftermarket amp). The third was for the dash lights and tail lights.

My problem is as follows.

None of the interior lights work.

Dash lights and tail lights are wired together. None of them work.

All fuses seem to be find swapped them just in case. Fuses under the hood seem to be fine as well.

I went to a scrap yard and pull a headlight and dimmer switch. Changed them.
Got the lights working again, for about 1 day then they went out I noticed that the headlight and dimmer switch got very hot.

I swear I heard the fuel pump kick on with the headlight switch though I am 99% certain that the illumination wire is hooked to the accessory wire on the radio.

Where else can I look?

This may take some patience and detective work. I am working on similar issues on my son's Dodge. Someone did a home brew rewiring to bypass the fan resistor module and messed with the headlights, the window controls and the interior lights and maybe other things I have not found yet. I pulled all the fuses but one at a time and have been trying to figure out what is powered by what, regardless what the fuse panel says. Found a number of shorts and crosses introduced by the previous owner. I also got a tool for for tracing wires with a tone at Lowes Building Center that helps to see where wires go. As for the hot headlight switch, you are right that something else is crossed with it or there is a ground somewhere on one of the lights, be it dash or side marker or tail light. Look for lights that are not working and that may help find the short.
Joe

Back