• Register Today It's free!

Help! Cant get past 3000 RPM

fordby4

Reaction score
City, State
Santa FE New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
My explorer will not release any power after 3000 RPM. it is a manual transmission. Every time i try and punch it the explorer feels like it has no power and stops giving what power it has at 3000. It especially lacks power going up hills. My sister also has an explorer that is a 91 with an automatic tranny and she has more miles than I do and her car was really beaten up when she got it but hers has a lot more power than mine and she does not have the problem going up hill. Now I hace put a new coil new wires new plugs and cleaned the MAF sensor and I am stumped. Can anyone help me? Any advise will be much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you changed the air filter or fuel filter latley?

Your problem sounds very much like the problem I've had with several of my cars - it's a probability that few consider: check you exhaust and make sure that your catalytic converter isn't clogged...

Not to be crude, but think about how you feel when your in a crowded public area and have gas, but the correct social practice is to not let it out - kinda makes you feel the way your car is acting, huh?

Another possibility is a stuck fuel pressure regulator.

Would a fuel pressure regulator make a weird noise if it wasnt working properly, in this instance? Mine did, and the only other sign I got was my milage dropped like a rock. It made a strange whining noise that my mechanic didn't even notice/correllate with the FPR. So I changed it, it took 20 minutes and everything was great. But I could hear mine going out...back to the point, would he be able to hear it going out or was i just lucky?

Your FPR stuck open. If his is sticking it is sticking closed.

I've rarely heard of FPRs making noise.

lmao everyones getting all technical.... did you check to see if something was blocking the gas pedal? LOL

a good way to check the FPR
remove the small rubber hose going from the FPR to the upper intake (I think?)
Smell it, and if it smells like gas, then the FPR is bad.
That is, as long as the 4.0 is some-what similar to the 2.9

did you check to see if something was blocking the gas pedal?
lol, a blocked skinny pedal would not decrease fuel mileage :rolleyes:

Back