Help choose new rims/tires/sizes..... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help choose new rims/tires/sizes.....

i currently have stock 15x7 teardrops with 31'' pirelli scorpion at's. i'm gonna need new tires before winter and i want opinions on which way to go. i am leaning towards 31'' bridgestone revo's, but i also like the bfg at's. the pirelli's are good, but kinda suck in the snow as i found out last year. let me know what ya think.

next, i want to get rims soon, and i have some choices:

8559m625.jpg

8559ae_117_c.jpg

8559MTCLASSICII.jpg

8559xtremealloys_1869_c.jpg

i'm also not sure what size to get. either 15'' or 16''. if i stayed with 15's, i would just get 31's to go on them. but i'm not sure if maybe a 16'' wheel would look better. what do you think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

#2#2#2#2#2#2#2#2#2#2#2#2#2#2#2#2#2#2#2#2#2#2#2#2#2#2#2#2#2#2#2#2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your Scorpions sucked in the snow? Wow, mine seemed to handle great in the snow, of course, before that I had the GY Wrangler RTS's...not much to compare to I guess...
I seriously considered the Revo's myself, but they were soooooooo new when I was in the tire market, I went with the more experience Pirelli's.
Oh, and if you go with 16's and want a bigger size, you have to go metric, and aren't the larger metric's more expensive than say 31's and 32's....?
I'd stick with 15's if you do plan on offroading...more rubber is better....
16's will look more impressive from the wheel standpoint....

ya, i wasn't too impressed with the pirelli's in the snow. everything else they were great. really nice ride too. i don't do much off-roading at all. thats what i was thinking also, that 16'' wheels would look better. i'm not sure what size tires i would need though. i don't have a lift, and don't want one, and my 31's fit perfect. i would need something equal to a 31 but in a 16'' tire. i know thwe following:

265/75/16=31.6 x 10.4 x 7.8
265/70/16=30.6 x 10.4 x 7.3

i would love the 265/75's, but i think the 31.6 might be pushing it. but is .6 really that much bigger??

well, it's just over a 1/2 inch, so yeah it could at full-tilt steering or large bumps or deep dips in the road....
If you really want the 16's....I say go for it, get the 265/75/16's. If you have any rubbing issues, a simple torsion twist and a set of 30 dollar add-a-leaf's will give you plenty of clearance, I got 1.5" out of my TT & AAL's.

I would stay with 15s (we went from 16s to 15s on my GFs Sport cause tires were $50 more per tire for 16s). Also, the BFG ATs are awesome in the snow. And I vote for 3 or 4 or maybe 1. :D

I'd go with 3 or 4. (they are almost identical aren't they?) And go with 15" wheels.

First of all, I think you should stick with the 15's. Like section said, the rims and tires are cheaper, and I think more rubber looks better. Second, everybody and their mother has M/T classic II's. Go with something different. I say get the AE Stics (#1).

#1 All the way!!!!
15's or 16's both would look good, but definately the American Racing rims

I like all the choices you've listed. I'm considering number 4 for my own X. I was advised that there may be a backspacing issue though.

jimcom said:
I like all the choices you've listed. I'm considering number 4 for my own X. I was advised that there may be a backspacing issue though.
i definitley don't waqnt any bs issues. anyone know the correct back spacing and offset that is needed for a comfortable fit on the explorer?

I've had a set of the 31x10.50 Revo's on my '96 now for about 4k miles and been really happy with them. Great in the rain, will have to wait to see how they do in the snow (if we get any this year). I used to have a set of Goodyear MT/R's, these are much quieter and smoother but still have a good open tread.

I think stock Backspacing is 4 1/2", someone correct me if I'm wrong.
#4, the pro-comp xtreme alloys, have 3 1/4" backspacing, so that means the wheels would be 1 1/4" closer to the fenders. I think thats right. Someone else on this board told me that, I can't remember who it was though.
I'm not sure why they have such an aggressive stance but it intrigues me, I like the idea of having the wheels stick out a bit, I just don't know if I'd wanna spend a grand on new wheels and tires and then come to find out they don't fit right.

#2... that's my $.02.

Back