• Register Today It's free!

help...coolant leak...

bergercook

Reaction score
City, State
phila. pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport
I just had my ex inspected today, and when I got home i noticed a puddle of antifreeze under it. @ days ago i noticed it was running hot, and after a check of the antifreeze level, realized it was very low. I put a gallon in the, and 3/4 gallon today. It is leaking on the passenger side. I can't see the leak from the top, but from the bottom it looks like it is coming from arounf the idler pulley.Could it be the water pump, or maybe a lower intake gasket? One other thing. If i squeeze the upper radiator hose, the engine begins to surge. I don't know if the 2 problems are connected to each other,but it seems odd.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let the engine cool down, spray the front (between the radiator and engine) with water to clean off the fluid, and then run it in the driveway to see positively where the leak is. I've had radiator problems that have had fluid blown back on the motor from the fan and air when moving.

sounds most likely like its the water pump..... how many miles are on your truck? has it ever been replaced?

If i were you id take a serious look at the lower intake gasket. The 4.0's are famous for leaking there. Mine leaked on the passanger side base just above the water pump and leaked right down the side of the pump. Needless to say after a miss diagnosis on my part I now have a new waterpump as well as a resealled intake.

Needless to say, take a look at the upper rad hose and thermostat housing.

It has 159,000 on the original motor. Last night there was a squealing noise coming from around the waterpump. My guess is it is that, being as it is the original. I will let you know after I take it to my mechanic.

well, after a day at the shop, I now know it is the lower intake gasket. $500 and 2 days of work gets me a new one. I wonder what will break next?????

I have a 95 4.0 and i just had the same problem except i lost all my antifreeze in a period of one day. Take your radiater cap off and blow in it but make sure the overflow line is plugged and see if the leak is visible that way. Mine problem was the intake gasket which only cost me around 50 dollars.

mine is so high cause my mechanic is doing the work.. If I did it, it would be worse than it is now.....

About a month and a half ago, my lower intake gasket went too, the gasket kit from Autozone and 2 gallons of coolant cost I think about $100. It took me, my brother and cousin about 8 hours or so for the teardown and rebuild of the motor but was worth it considering what a mechanic would have charged.

Just did a lower intake last weekend myself. About 10 hours all told. Course, 10 hours and $70.00 was much better than $500 at the mechanic. No leaks yet.....

KC

would rather spend the money and know it is done right, than get it back together and have to tear it back down. Iw know I could get it apart, but putting it back together?????

Back