• Register Today It's free!

Help! Engine dies....why?

planchedenieve

Reaction score
City, State
Logan, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 4.0L XLT
I have a 1994 explorer 4.0L manual transmission.
For the last while the engine has been having some problems and seem to be getting progressively worse, here are the symptoms:

-Has a semi-hard time started up, but then idles just fine.
-When I put it into gear and start to go the engine will die out. Not just lose power, but the RPM's will jolt down like it's firing bad.
-I can rev the engine in and out of gear with no problem, but when I put a load on the engine it cuts out.

It seemed to me to be problem with the ignition system so I replaced both the wireset and the distributor with no change. It's to the point now where I can't even move it.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is it hard to move like your breaks are on or something is binding? (feels like it wants to go but wont)

or have you checked your fuel and air filters.

just a couple ideas more people will chime in to help soon

It rolls fine, not a brake problem.
The air filter is pretty new.
I haven't checked the fuel filter, it's a little harder to get at I believe. What are the symptoms of a problem fuel filter? Should I bother taking a look?

not sure all the symptoms but dieing when you give it gas is what mine did as you require more fuel them pushing the gas so it could be mostly clogged and you said it just keeps getting worse. plus it could help on fuel milage. the fuel filter is inside the [ part of the frame under the drivers door. 2 bolts and a hose clamp that hold it there. for the lines you will probably need the special tool you can do it without but i recommend it. its only a few dollars or atleast it was 3 years ago.

this would be about my only guess without feeling/hearing it for myself since you say its not binding up anywhere in the driveline/breaks.

i also check the pressure at the fuel rail ...could be the fuel pump .when was the last time that was replaced ?

also a tip on the fuel filter ... if it's never been replaced or you don't know how long it's been then chances are it's old and needs to be changed.the "catch" clip on the inside of the fuel line can be a bugger to get off with the correct fuel line tool .before you attempt to remove the line spray some carb cleaner ( high pressure ) and get the straw inside where the line connects to the filter and spray it out really good .even with the best of fuel line tools it has to go under the catch to release ...dirt and gunk will fill in that area and make it a pain to remove,once it's gone the fuel line tool will work with out much effort on your part .

wish i would have known that when i did it.

Video

Thanks for your comments thus far, I'm about to head to autozone and then replace the fuel filter, worst case I get better fuel mileage. Here is a video of what is happening.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgs0nrlQJjM
The first time the engine cuts out the e-brake is on and I'm not moving. The second time I back up a little and then go foreword and the same thing happens. Is this typical of a fuel issue? It seems to me that it would also cut out when I gas it in idle which it doesn't.

ok now after seeing this ...u'mmm..... you really need to get the codes read and find out why your cel is on .......that may tell you why it's going dead .

I had the time today so I pulled the engine codes with a voltometer, this is what came back:
Current Condition Codes(KOEO):
122-TPS circuit below minimum 0.6 volts.
341-Octane Adjust shorting bar is not in or the OCT ADJ circuit is open.

Continuous Memeory(CM):

I will check into these and see what the trouble shooting procedures are, but I wanted to post first and see in anybody had any ideas.
Thanks.

the code 341 i can't really give you much on that but may be linked with a bad tps sensor (never had that code problem) .

...i would first dis-connect the batt then replace the tps and clear out any codes and let the computer relearn it's self then check to see if you have any return codes .

Back