Help erratic transfer case engagement and I made it worse!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help erratic transfer case engagement and I made it worse!!

sholzee

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo N.Y.
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 EB 4dr 4x4
92 x press 4x4 button clicking in back sometimes 4x4 light comes on sometimes not. Installed shift motor from junkyard that looks in better shape than mine. also installed new controller no clicking and no engagement old controller no clicking. I guess I need to put old shift motor back in. I checked the 20 amp fuse under the hood, are there any other fuses? what is the best way to triuble shoot? I have checked dr Bobs site any other tips?

Most of these fail

from lubrication problems. I've found that if the motor won't operate with a brake light in series with the motor, it won't operate in the vehicle. Motor should draw less than 0.75 amp. If it draws more, the electronics goes into electronic current limit. A full 12V is never applied to the motor. When I rebuild them, I remove the switch gear and "run the motor in" on a bench for a while. Bad motor doesn't blow a fuse unless the electronics goes bad.

Back