• Register Today It's free!

Help For A Potential Buyer

ffpalmtree87

Reaction score
City, State
Moscow Mills, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
TBD
Hey everyone. Looking at purchasing a 5th generation explorer in the near future and I'm looking for some advice and feedback on a couple I have in mind. I haven't driven or seen these vehicles in person yet but wanted a list of things to look out for and check when I go test drive them. First is a 2013 Sport 4WD with about 175,000 miles on it. The second is a 2011 Limited FWD with about 180,000 miles on it. Again, Im looking for any input people have on these models and configurations. Thanks in advance.

See if the PTU has ever been serviced. that and the water pump and the BIG possible failures.

nothing any different than buying any other high mileage vehicle, check into the service history such as timing chains, cam phasers, water pump, PTU, and the turbos on the sport, those are the big things to look at but honestly if it is in good shape at 180k it may go forever.....or it may die tomorrow, luck of the draw

Hey everyone. Looking at purchasing a 5th generation explorer in the near future and I'm looking for some advice and feedback on a couple I have in mind. I haven't driven or seen these vehicles in person yet but wanted a list of things to look out for and check when I go test drive them. First is a 2013 Sport 4WD with about 175,000 miles on it. The second is a 2011 Limited FWD with about 180,000 miles on it. Again, Im looking for any input people have on these models and configurations. Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Are you buying these from a Ford dealership, and if yes, try and get a maintenance history as others have suggested. The 3.5L V6 has an internal water pump that can cause an issue if it leaks coolant into the motor.

Peter

Back