• Register Today It's free!

Potential buyer with questions

velanzia

Reaction score
City, State
Brampton, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Nissan Altima 2.5SL
Hey guys - how is everybody doing?, this is my first post and apologies if I'm breaking any rules here :)

I'm from Brampton, Ontario. Me and my wife are considering an Ex. Currently I drive a 08' Nissan Altima (which I love). We need more room now and thought Ex would be a good option. However I have few pre purchase questions, it is a long list and thank you for your patience.

• We looked at a vehicle (2013, Black Ext., Stone Int., Limited 3.5 FWD 302A, Moonroof) and discussed the prices over email. It came to about $50,300.04 ($48,729 [MSRP] - $4520 [Employee Pricing] + $100 [Air] + $295 [Documentation] + $5726.04 [HST]) - what do you think about the price? I'd like to know what how much Canadian members paid for a similarly equipped vehicle. (I understand that I still have to go-in and discuss the price in datail with a slaes person.)
  • My wife's work place get a deal from some other dealership. It says any Ford pricing is just $500 over invoice price inculding other offers, this means I should get current employee pricing as well. I feel that price should go below above quote since it was based on MSRP.
  • Can someone provide me a resource to get the invoice price for this vehicle? I'm more interested in Canadian pricing.
  • I drive 48kms everyday and 90% of it is on highway. with my car(2.5L) I get 11km/L (sometimes 10 but very close to 11). What is the real fuel economy you guys achive? I really dont think I can achive the same numbers posted on window sticker.
  • Anyone recommends getting 4WD + trailer packages? I drove cars always and did not felt like that I need it.
  • What are the differences between Canadian and US model? anything significat? (I know my current car had differnces for those 2 regions)

And amazingly insurance is 50 bucks lower than my current. yay.

Thank you for your replies!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys - how is everybody doing?, this is my first post and apologies if I'm breaking any rules here :)

I'm from Brampton, Ontario. Me and my wife are considering an Ex. Currently I drive a 08' Nissan Altima (which I love). We need more room now and thought Ex would be a good option. However I have few pre purchase questions, it is a long list and thank you for your patience.

• We looked at a vehicle (2013, Black Ext., Stone Int., Limited 3.5 FWD 302A, Moonroof) and discussed the prices over email. It came to about $50,300.04 ($48,729 [MSRP] - $4520 [Employee Pricing] + $100 [Air] + $295 [Documentation] + $5726.04 [HST]) - what do you think about the price? I'd like to know what how much Canadian members paid for a similarly equipped vehicle. (I understand that I still have to go-in and discuss the price in datail with a slaes person.)
  • My wife's work place get a deal from some other dealership. It says any Ford pricing is just $500 over invoice price inculding other offers, this means I should get current employee pricing as well. I feel that price should go below above quote since it was based on MSRP.
  • Can someone provide me a resource to get the invoice price for this vehicle? I'm more interested in Canadian pricing.
  • I drive 48kms everyday and 90% of it is on highway. with my car(2.5L) I get 11km/L (sometimes 10 but very close to 11). What is the real fuel economy you guys achive? I really dont think I can achive the same numbers posted on window sticker.
  • Anyone recommends getting 4WD + trailer packages? I drove cars always and did not felt like that I need it.
  • What are the differences between Canadian and US model? anything significat? (I know my current car had differnces for those 2 regions)

And amazingly insurance is 50 bucks lower than my current. yay.

Thank you for your replies!!
Welcome to the Forum velanzia.:wavey:

I don't have all the answers but my 2011 AWD Limited c/w moonroof and voice activated Nav. came to just over $50,300 excluding tax. I have a 48 month lease so I pay the tax monthly as part of my lease payment. I previously had 3 Toyota Highlander Ltds and the were 4WD. I personally would not go back to just FWD.
Doing a 'build' on the Ford.ca website I used the 302A Pkg + moonroof but did not add the voive activated navigation and the total, including freight ($1500) and the Ontario fee ($30) came to $50,154. This I assume does include the documentation/licensing fees.
It looks like the $1000 Costco membership discount is no longer valid.

If most of your driving is highway and you drive within the limits, I would say that you should be very close to what you were getting with the Altima.
The best I ever got was about 8.3L/100km) and that was doing 80km/hr on cruise for about 10 kms. And that is with the AWD Limited.

There a couple of difference that I'm aware. I believe all Cdn models come with the block heater while on the ones for the northern states do. Our also come with the DRL's which are on the parking lamps if you have HID headlamps. THe U.S. models don't come with the DRL's activated but they came be programmed to come on.

Unless you plan to tow something with the Explorer I don't know why you would get that pkg.

I also would not get the OEM all weather floor mats. Husky and Weathertech mats are much superior and Husky offers a group buy discount for members.
You may also want to consider a cargo mat for the back and possibly a rear bumper protector. I have the OEM one but a better one (BMC) is available, It actually covers the lip of the bumper. You can do a 'search' on this topic. See if they will throw in the splash guards and installation for free as part of the deal.

Be advised that the actual voice activated navigation pkg can only be installed at the factory. It is currently not available as an 'add-on'. I don't see where you indicated that you wanted it but I thought I'd just mention it as there have been a few people who have been led astray by their dealer on this issue.

I'm sure that you will get some more replies from other members.

Good luck.

Peter

Allow me to answer some questions.
I am from Sudbury, Ontario and just bought:
2013 Explorer LTD
- 302A Package
- Nav
- Trailer Tow
- Dual Moonroof

We paid $53,500 out the door on May 31st...just before Employee pricing but with Costco Rebate.
Before Tax our price was $48,190. Basically got it for the MRSP price out the door.
Main reason for doing this was the finance rate. I got 1.99...currently it is 5.79.
Also, that was my price without my trade in...I obviously paid less when I traded in my other vehicle.

As far as trailer tow package goes...if you plan to tow...i'd get. I would not recommend getting an "after market" one as they do not included oil/tranny coolant with them. This is the main reason I always get a Factory Trailer Package.

For invoice pricing...I could sent you a copy of a factory order I got from May 25th...before employee pricing. It shows the A/Z Plan a few dollars cheaper than what it actually is.

As far as differences....the Canadian model has DRL's (the amber turn signals) and some Sync services don't work.

Go to Edmunds.com and you should be able to find the invoice price, the suggested retail prices, and the MSRP as well. Then you can tell if you're getting a good price. I'm not sure if you can look using a Canadian zip code, but it would be worth a try.

Hi All - Thank you for welcoming me and for the information. Very useful.

[peterk9] & [KanewtZ] - Thank you for you comments. And, [KanewtZ] - if you don't mind, can you send me the copy (maybe p/m me)? So I can see usually what is the difference between invoice and MSRP. Probably the numbers may have changed between May and July, but better to stay informed.

[JUtecht] - I actually tried Edmunds site, but it takes no Canadian postal codes.

Welcome to the boards!

I work at a dealership. My MSRP was $50,460 (US) for a Platinum White Limited with 302a, dual roofs, second row buckets and console, trailer tow. With D Plan and $1,000 rebate, my final price was $44,558, or $5,902 total off sticker. I also got 1.79 percent financing so it was a no brainier for me. I put the $7,500 of the $8,000 I got for my 2001 4Runner down on the Explorer, so I financed just about $37,000. With 1.79 I did not want to put anything down, but my better half did not want the payment TOOO big... Lol. We also just got a check back from Citibank Driver's rewards for $900.00, which will pay for registration and some of the first year insurance.

We LOVE our Explorer we call Storm Trooper.

See Below for the information I have:

Item MRSP INVOICE
K8FI Explorer Ltd 4WD $44399 $41203
Fed Exercise Tax $100 $100
Equipment 302A Group $3900 $3432

Stewardship Ownership Fee $30 $30
Dual Panel Moonroof $1750 $1540
Trailer Tow Package $500 $440
Voice Act Nav $700 $616

Total Vehicle & Options $51479 $47449
Destination & Delivery $1500 $1500

Total for Vehicle $52797 $48949

U.S. Gal Fuel Charge $18
$48967 (Inovice)

X-Plan = $50117.60
A-Plan = $48190

This was as of May 28th, 2012. To my understanding Employee Pricing (A-Plan) went up just a little to something like $48,3XX.

Welcome to the forums. :thumbsup:

Here is a sample on fuel usage Fuelly.com 2013 Explorers for the 6 being tracked. Should be a button you can click to change from US to KM/L to get you the numbers you want.

Welcome to the forums. :thumbsup:

Here is a sample on fuel usage Fuelly.com 2013 Explorers for the 6 being tracked. Should be a button you can click to change from US to KM/L to get you the numbers you want.
Thank for that Gatortailale. I just signed up with Fuelly although with the limited amount I travel it will be a while to get any kind of info. It seems I only fill her (Snowball) up about once a month.
Thanks again for the link. :thumbsup:

Peter

See Below for the information I have:

Item MRSP INVOICE
K8FI Explorer Ltd 4WD $44399 $41203
Fed Exercise Tax $100 $100
Equipment 302A Group $3900 $3432

Stewardship Ownership Fee $30 $30
Dual Panel Moonroof $1750 $1540
Trailer Tow Package $500 $440
Voice Act Nav $700 $616

Total Vehicle & Options $51479 $47449
Destination & Delivery $1500 $1500

Total for Vehicle $52797 $48949

U.S. Gal Fuel Charge $18
$48967 (Inovice)

X-Plan = $50117.60
A-Plan = $48190

This was as of May 28th, 2012. To my understanding Employee Pricing (A-Plan) went up just a little to something like $48,3XX.
I'm a bit confused here, but at my age that happens quite often. Are you buying from the U.S.? You mention the $30 Ontario fee but then also talk about A and X plans and a $18 U.S. Fuel Charge. I have never paid a fuel charge on any new vehicles I had.:scratch:

Peter

I bought from an Ontario Dealer, Peter.
That's what was shown on the Dealer Invoice I received. I've never seen one before but from what I was told, it is bang on.

A/X Plan is Employee Price and Ford Partner Price, respectively.

I hope I cleared that up.

Cheers,
Matt

I bought from an Ontario Dealer, Peter.
That's what was shown on the Dealer Invoice I received. I've never seen one before but from what I was told, it is bang on.

A/X Plan is Employee Price and Ford Partner Price, respectively.

I hope I cleared that up.

Cheers,
Matt

To clarify more, the U.S Gal Surcharge is only charged to the "Dealer Invoice", not the MRSP (hence, why you have never seen it on the Window Sticker).

That should clarify things.

If anyone wants to know, the Dealer Holdback on the 2013 Explorer in Canada is currently $1055 during Employee Pricing.

Fuel is on the invoice side, not the retail side. It is always there on every invoice I have ever looked at (built into the retail side, broken out on the invoice side).

To clarify more, the U.S Gal Surcharge is only charged to the "Dealer Invoice", not the MRSP (hence, why you have never seen it on the Window Sticker).

That should clarify things.

If anyone wants to know, the Dealer Holdback on the 2013 Explorer in Canada is currently $1055 during Employee Pricing.
Okay, thanks Matt and Ron. That does explain the gas. I thought that A and X plans were only available state side. Always something to learn. :)

Peter

Back