• Register Today It's free!

Some shock help for a lifted ex

frankcal

Reaction score
City, State
Perris, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Sport XLT 3.73C, 5R55E
So I just have a quick question for everyone who has some experience with shocks. I have a lifted sport, about 2 1/2 inches in the front with TT and 2 1/4 with aal and shackles in the back with a bfg all terrains 265/75/16 all around at 38psi. I recently replaced the front shocks in the front with the rancho shocks for tt lift, which did help the ride. But the ride in the rear has recently gotten worse, which I'm thinking is the rear shocks now because they have about 60k on them. I bought and installed new u bolt skids from another member that lifts the shock mount up, which I'm guessing would be about stock height with my lift.

So here is my question, what kind of shocks should I go with. I don't really off road, just go on some dirt roads every now and then but nothing remotely serious. It is a street driven daily driver with about a 200 mile freeway trip on a weekly basis. I have narrowed it down to two choices, but not really sure what to go for for the best ride on pavement.

Choice 1: Rancho RS9000xl
Choice 2: KYB Monomax Heavy Duty Monotube

or is there something else I should look into. Thank you for any input or comments you might have

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any suggestions?

The RS900XL adjustable rear shocks sounds like a no brainer after reading this.
I have a 4dr leaf pack with aal and and extra leaf from my original sport leaf pack. This set up on the rear is what had made the whole ride stiffer in combination with the tt so maybe its because of that.
Post #17 from the OP linked below

So I installed my new rear shocks, Rancho RS999185s which are the gas charged 9000XL series with the 9 adjustments. Oh my. I have them set at three, so relatively soft, and I have never loved driving anything as I do now. I had the 5000 series Ranchos on the rear before, and they weren't bad, but the stiffness made the entire rear end shimmy for a few seconds after any large bump, and it wasn't really even all that pleasant on smooth roads. Ok, so they were kinda bad.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3175586

Mail in rebate on FOUR thru 6/30/14
http://www.gorancho.com/promotions/ran_springpromo_rebatepad_us_web.pdf

Thanks for the input, I trust your word on it I think I might just go for those.

I had Rancho 5000's on all 4 corners on my old Sport (no mods) and didn't like them at all. I switched over to the Monroe Reflex and since then have put those on all my stock vehicles. I did have a lifted 88 ranger with the RS9000 in the back and really liked them

I did like the rancho rs5000 when I first got them on all corners but I felt like they gave out pretty quickly. I do like the new ones for the tt front that I have now though.

Ultimately I ended up going with kyb monomax heavy duty. I am really impressed with them thus far and I've had them on for about 3 weeks and little over 500 miles. They are a lot stiffer than the rancho shocks but not really too bad. What I really like about them is that they got the side to side rocking when turning or going over bumps or pot holes. They feel stiffer on turns and make it feel more planted while turning. Gave up a little comfort for a lot more stability and really cant complain with the trade off.

Back