• Register Today It's free!

Help... Fouled plugs, rings good.

Andres629

Reaction score
City, State
Kelowna BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Ranger
Okay, this may sound like a dumb question, but only two spark plugs on my 92Sport on the driver's side of the engine, the middle plug and the rear plug, foul out. The rest are a nice tan color. Now, I'm pretty sure that the rings are good, because there is only 150,000 km (90,000 mi) on it. One other thing, the valve cover gasket on the same side is leaking. Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll bet you've got the infamous intake manifold gasket leak. You can try torquing it down to help it seal a bit better, but the fix is to remove the manifold and replace the gaskets. When re-torquing the manifold be sure to do it in several steps so the manifold will torque down evenly.

i agree, check the intake gasket, also have a compression test done if you can, that will tell you for sure if the rings and everything are ok, also, how well does it run when you change the the plugs, does it run rich with alittle smok? or is it nice and smooth

Have you condidered the wires?

i agree, check the intake gasket, also have a compression test done if you can, that will tell you for sure if the rings and everything are ok, also, how well does it run when you change the the plugs, does it run rich with alittle smok? or is it nice and smooth

It runs like brand new when I changed the plugs. No smoke that I can tell, but it may just be a little bit of oil at a time When I bought it in Oct. 06 I don't think the plugs had ever been changed, so that might have had quite a bit to do with it. And now it is relatively smooth, I mean, it starts right up and runs like a dream. And yes, I had considered plug wires, but after I changed the plugs I didn't think it was that. The help has been greatly appreciated, and any other advice would also be great. Thanks.

Back