Help: get stock 16's or stay with 15's to run 32+ tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help: get stock 16's or stay with 15's to run 32+ tires

Alright, back in the day I went down to 15x8's to run 32x11.50's... and now I have Pro Comp AT's (which I love... and ROCK in the snow! :thumbsup: ). Well I can't afford a lift right now and need height. SO: do I source some stock 16's to run 285 75 16's and gain a bit of height or keep the 15's and go to 33 10.50 BFG AT's? I am absolutely stuck, because I Love the pro-comps and I've had bad experience with the BFG AT/KO's (early tread seperation). Both sizes are similar and similar weight. I don't want to go with a 12.5 wide tire for rub reasons and lack of the lift needed (+ they are too heavy for me now).

Pro's with going to 16's; more brake clearance and easier to clean wheels (the finish on my 15's sucks and I have to polish them too frequently). Cons: Initial cost, and then I'm pretty well stuck to 285's... and if (when) I go SAS larger tires for 16's are alot more $$ than 15's.

Pro's to staying with my 15's; no incurred cost for wheel or pain of sale. Cons; finish sucks on my wheels and going down to a 10.50 tire will cost me much loved traction and a switch to BFG's. Why can't Pro-comp just make a 33x10.50 15 or better yet a 33x11.50 15??????? :confused: How is it that only BFG makes an AT or streetable tire in 33x10+x15" tire? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you like your Pro Comps, I'd say keep those on the ride for now and worry about bigger wheels and tires later on with the SAS. Right now with 4.10's, you might be hatin' it with 33's anyway. It also doesn't seem like the expense and hassle of new tires and new rims would be worth it for the 1/4-1/2 inch you'd gain by switching sizes. Save your money in the meantime and you'll be ever closer to affording a lift and bigger Pro Comps.

BFG makes alot of weird sizes in the AT to keep their slice of the pie nice and big. They even make it in all those low-profile-never-gonna-go-off-the-road sizes now. After all, it IS the most popular all terrain tire.

Anime 4x4

I don't really have any input on this discussion (other than I have BFG AT's and I love them :thumbsup: ) just wanted to say that I love that quote you have for your signature thingy.

If you like your Pro Comps, I'd say keep those on the ride for now and worry about bigger wheels and tires later on with the SAS. Right now with 4.10's, you might be hatin' it with 33's anyway. It also doesn't seem like the expense and hassle of new tires and new rims would be worth it for the 1/4-1/2 inch you'd gain by switching sizes. Save your money in the meantime and you'll be ever closer to affording a lift and bigger Pro Comps.
Thanks, I am leaning that way as well. I am so damn sick of polishing my wheels though! :D Albeit, not quite enough to slap down too much $. Now I realize the deal I sold my stock wheels and almost new tires for ($450 including lugs!). I wish I had them now. I think if I end up needing tires before I have the $2k for the SAS... I'll have to go with the 33x10.50's.

And just for the hell of it by catalog the Pro Comp ATs in a 32x11.50 are k
31.3" (crazy they label it a 32!!! :confused: )in diameter and the 285 75 16's are 32.8" so they are a fair amount different... and with my wheelbase (and after airing down) I sure could appreciate the height difference even .75" is.

I don't really have any input on this discussion (other than I have BFG AT's and I love them :thumbsup: ) just wanted to say that I love that quote you have for your signature thingy.

You've had good luck with the BFG AT/KO's in snow and/or deep snow? I just didn't like the wet traction and snow traction with the BFG AT's.... but I know alot of others around here are happy with them. (I agree it is a cool quote Anime4x4). :thumbsup:

And just for the hell of it by catalog the Pro Comp ATs in a 32x11.50 are
31.3" (crazy they label it a 32!!!

Tires are like 2x4 lumber. They are nominal size.

It even varies between a mfgs style of tires. I was looking at Cooper Discover ATR. There 31x10.5x15 was 30.3 in dia while there 31x10.5x15 S/T was 31.87.

So yea always make sure you look at the tire mfgs spec before you buy.

becker69

The snow performance with the A/T's isn't as good as I had hoped. However, with any other situation they do great. I was particurally impressed with their street performance in the rain. :thumbsup:

All that being said, you also should take into consideration that these are the first type of off-road-ish tires I've had. Before this I always bought the cheapos. Haha. So I don't really have anything to compare these too. I will say that the purchase of these tires alone (stock size, wasn't anything bigger) allowed my Explorer to go to places in had never been. I'm still a novice when it comes to off-road stuff (although I've always had the passion) and I was really surprised at how much of a difference a better tire can make in a vehicle's performance.

Well, that was a long enough post for a simple answer. Haha. :)

Thanks for the heads-up as to where you're coming from. I totally agree that tires alone will make more of an impression (traction-wise) than most people ever give credit. And as far as ownership, I've only had BFG muds (on a 2wd ranger; same thing... they got me places I had almost NO business being! :D ), and the stock tires, BFG AT/KO's, and my current Pro-Comps all on the Explorer.

Update; I finally acquired some stock 16x7" Sport Trac 5 stars for $172 shipped! :) :bounce: :bounce: So I'm pretty stoked. Now I gotta put my old wheels and tires up and order the 285's (I agree Evan... I think these are a great way to go). Like I mentioned earlier... the .75" gain in lift will be appreciated (31.3" v. 32.9"), plus I'll gain a stiffer sidewall which should gain me some loss of sag when aired down.

Now I need to decide on the AT's or Muds! I'd love the muds, but think that the ATs' quiet attributes will better suit me.

It's all in what you do most and what you are willing to tolerate. I love the traction and looks of my MT's. They aren't that loud, but they certainly aren't quiet.The biggest drawback is they do wear faster and mine need to be balanced every 4-5k. But they do out preform AT's hands down in dirt and mud.

@BECKER69- kind of a hijack here but do you have any pictures of your truck with the 32x11.5's on it? I am trying to decide on new tires for my ST but will only be doing the TT and shackles at this time so I'm tossed up between a 31x10.5 or the 32x11.5. I think I have already decided to go with a 15x8 simply because its cheaper for tires & wheels than just the tires to fit my stock 16's. And I am leaning to the 32's because I would like a body lift some time down the road so I want the biggest I can fit with no rub issues now. I have been looking around for examples of slightly lifted Sport Tracs with bigger tires but I cant find too many that don't have huge lifts and 33"+ tires. Also, how much did the bigger tires affect your gear ratio? I also have 4:10's and wouldn't mind a little less RPM on the highway since I have to pull my boat with OD off and it screams now but I don't want it to be a dog either and don't see a gear swap in my future.

...i have 32x11.50x15 running on my ranger, stock deerhooves, bfg at's if that helps...they fit perfect...;)

@BECKER69- kind of a hijack here but do you have any pictures of your truck with the 32x11.5's on it? I am trying to decide on new tires for my ST but will only be doing the TT and shackles at this time so I'm tossed up between a 31x10.5 or the 32x11.5. I think I have already decided to go with a 15x8 simply because its cheaper for tires & wheels than just the tires to fit my stock 16's. And I am leaning to the 32's because I would like a body lift some time down the road so I want the biggest I can fit with no rub issues now. I have been looking around for examples of slightly lifted Sport Tracs with bigger tires but I cant find too many that don't have huge lifts and 33"+ tires. Also, how much did the bigger tires affect your gear ratio? I also have 4:10's and wouldn't mind a little less RPM on the highway since I have to pull my boat with OD off and it screams now but I don't want it to be a dog either and don't see a gear swap in my future.

Without a doubt go with the 32's over the 31x10.50's, especially since you have the 4.10's. Depending on how soon you think you'll lift it, personally I would do the TT and shackles, get 265 75 16's (32's) on your stock wheels and analyze, research, and/or save for your exact future lift and tire plans. Just cuz I wouldn't go down to 15x8's on the notion of wheel/tire costs (I did it to ;) :D )... but you could ditch your 16's and fit the 32x11.50's with just a TT/shackle lift and have wheels you can later put 35x12.50's on. PM me and I'll email you some pics if you want. :thumbsup: Of course you could do the tt/shackles and put 285 75 16's on your stockers and you'd be rollin' on 33's ;) - this is what I'm doin' :cool: with hardly any $ and get the other tires and lift later!

For Sport Trac specific stuff you can try mysporttrac.com, although I don't like their forum set-up at all (and it hasn't changed or matured in 6 years! :confused: ).

Update; I finally acquired some stock 16x7" Sport Trac 5 stars for $172 shipped! :) :bounce: :bounce: So I'm pretty stoked. Now I gotta put my old wheels and tires up and order the 285's (I agree Evan... I think these are a great way to go). Like I mentioned earlier... the .75" gain in lift will be appreciated (31.3" v. 32.9"), plus I'll gain a stiffer sidewall which should gain me some loss of sag when aired down.

Now I need to decide on the AT's or Muds! I'd love the muds, but think that the ATs' quiet attributes will better suit me.

I know you said that you wanted 285's, but my 265 Dueler AT Revo's are for sale if you want 'em

Without a doubt go with the 32's over the 31x10.50's, especially since you have the 4.10's. Depending on how soon you think you'll lift it, personally I would do the TT and shackles, get 265 75 16's (32's) on your stock wheels and analyze, research, and/or save for your exact future lift and tire plans. Just cuz I wouldn't go down to 15x8's on the notion of wheel/tire costs (I did it to ;) :D )... but you could ditch your 16's and fit the 32x11.50's with just a TT/shackle lift and have wheels you can later put 35x12.50's on. PM me and I'll email you some pics if you want. :thumbsup: Of course you could do the tt/shackles and put 285 75 16's on your stockers and you'd be rollin' on 33's ;) - this is what I'm doin' :cool: with hardly any $ and get the other tires and lift later!

For Sport Trac specific stuff you can try mysporttrac.com, although I don't like their forum set-up at all (and it hasn't changed or matured in 6 years! :confused: ).

Well I am pretty set on the 15x8's for a few reasons. The cost of tires is definitely one of them but beyond that, I think a slightly wider wheel with more offset will open up my tire size choices down the road. I also plan on going with something like a soft8 which is priced to be damn near disposable and it wouldn't bother me to scratch them up like it would bother me to scratch up my prefect stock wheels. I also like that I have them to put back on if I decide to trade in the truck. I don't plan on it anytime soon but you never know. I plan to have the shackles built/installed and the TT done within the next couple of weeks as soon as I finish up a few incomplete home remodel projects. Ultimately, I would like to have some nicer aluminum wheels in a 15x8 and 33x12.5's but I want to have tires and an Aussie locker before winter and that doesn't leave any room in the budget for fancy wheels or a body lift. I figure the body lift wont come till next spring. There are several other things I want so do before I will be thinking about upgrading the wheels/tires again but when the time comes, I should have everything else done and the appropriate clearance for whatever I want at that point....at least thats the plan:cool:

SnakeCharmer, just remember the larger the tire the easier is to run over dealership service managers :D

SnakeCharmer, just remember the larger the tire the easier is to run over dealership service managers :D
No doubt. Maybe I need to consider bigger meats on the 07 so I can drive that thing right up someones ass.:thumbsup:...now you got me all stirred up:D

No doubt. Maybe I need to consider bigger meats on the 07 so I can drive that thing right up someones ass.:thumbsup:...now you got me all stirred up:D

Hokie; said:
I know you said that you wanted 285's, but my 265 Dueler AT Revo's are for sale if you want 'em

Buy my 265's ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Buy my 265's ;)

Dude... not gonna happen :D Sorry... I have 32's I'm stoked with... I just need more height to negotiate my wheelbase. All the wheelin' I do with Rovers @ around 105" wheelbase and you short wheelbase explorers :p: :D @ 114" or whatever makes me need any height I can get.

Mike (Snake Charmer); yeah, I would agree that the 8" wide wheel will give you more options and perhaps a wider more stable footprint regardless of the tire. On the trac (which I removed the badges on to read just "Explorer" ) an ~ 11.5" wide tire seems almost perfect for fitment and traction with the 4.10's. I'm jealous of your plans for an Aussie locker, I got in touch with them and they don't offer one for the factory L/S carrier I have :( they seem hard to beat for performance and bang for the buck.

Back