Help: get stock 16's or stay with 15's to run 32+ tires | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help: get stock 16's or stay with 15's to run 32+ tires

Alright, back in the day I went down to 15x8's to run 32x11.50's... and now I have Pro Comp AT's (which I love... and ROCK in the snow! :thumbsup: ). Well I can't afford a lift right now and need height. SO: do I source some stock 16's to run 285 75 16's and gain a bit of height or keep the 15's and go to 33 10.50 BFG AT's? I am absolutely stuck, because I Love the pro-comps and I've had bad experience with the BFG AT/KO's (early tread seperation). Both sizes are similar and similar weight. I don't want to go with a 12.5 wide tire for rub reasons and lack of the lift needed (+ they are too heavy for me now).

Pro's with going to 16's; more brake clearance and easier to clean wheels (the finish on my 15's sucks and I have to polish them too frequently). Cons: Initial cost, and then I'm pretty well stuck to 285's... and if (when) I go SAS larger tires for 16's are alot more $$ than 15's.

Pro's to staying with my 15's; no incurred cost for wheel or pain of sale. Cons; finish sucks on my wheels and going down to a 10.50 tire will cost me much loved traction and a switch to BFG's. Why can't Pro-comp just make a 33x10.50 15 or better yet a 33x11.50 15??????? :confused: How is it that only BFG makes an AT or streetable tire in 33x10+x15" tire? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Before the Explorer's went to IRS (trac or other 4 door 3rd gens), they should've just called the Sport Trac an Explorer SUT, or Explorer LWB (long wheel base) since it shares too much of the ranger and Explorer to be a seperate nameplate. It's cool that there are some sport trac owners who aren't so pretentious that they realize this :thumbsup: :D ;)

We're just super blessed with HUGE wheel wells :cool:

More to fit the 32x11.50's almost stock :eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm jealous of your plans for an Aussie locker, I got in touch with them and they don't offer one for the factory L/S carrier I have :( they seem hard to beat for performance and bang for the buck.

PowerTrax LockRite or No Slip (although they are more than double the Aussie locker in price)

Yeah I hear ya... you're up late don't you have some engineering homework or something?! :D

I've been putting off my diff service because I'm hoping on a locker I can put in myself and I don't want to double costs in a relatively short amount of time.

I think I'll end up going the PowerTrax although I'll have to research the noslip option as well (it's been to long since I knew the particulars of each).

Yeah I hear ya... you're up late don't you have some engineering homework or something?! :D

I've spent the last 4 hours trying to do the one small assignment that I have to do... instead I've been researching mtn biking/4WD trails around FoCo in the Roosevelt Nat'l Forest :D

I've spent the last 4 hours trying to do the one small assignment that I have to do... instead I've been researching mtn biking/4WD trails around FoCo in the Roosevelt Nat'l Forest :D

Well I guess VT didn't have a class on time management! :D I hope you're on a gov't grant... that way I know you're spending time and $$ wisely. :rolleyes: See I'm not a mechanical or chemical engineering type but... software; well I learned how to real break stuff.

Well I guess VT didn't have a class on time management! :D I hope you're on a gov't grant... that way I know you're spending time and $$ wisely. :rolleyes: See I'm not a mechanical or chemical engineering type but... software; well I learned how to real break stuff.

LoL, I wasn't on the clock last night... this was homework for a class I'm taking thats due at 4pm today. Once again I'm trying to do it, but instead i'm on EF again :rolleyes: :p:

EDIT: There's more to sustainable/alternative fuels research than being a tree hugger. I'm actually Republican and hope to make my fortune in alternative energy solutions ;)

I'm jealous of your plans for an Aussie locker, I got in touch with them and they don't offer one for the factory L/S carrier I have :( they seem hard to beat for performance and bang for the buck.

Ya, I looked at a few and they seem to be the most reasonable and I have yet to hear about anybody that doesn't like them. I didn't realize it was only available for the open diff. I guess you could easily find someone willing to swap your LS for their open but then you would have to set up the gears and all that good stuff. Thats a pain. I never really understood why they would spec a truck with 4:10's and no LS but now I guess I should be happy I have it. Problem is that I cant even get up my driveway in the snow with the damn thing so the locker is a must. And since my pinion seal started leaking, no better time than the present I suppose.

EDIT: There's more to sustainable/alternative fuels research than being a tree hugger. I'm actually Republican and hope to make my fortune in alternative energy solutions ;)

:thumbsup: Right there with you bud... I just gotta stay outta Boulder ;)

Problem is that I cant even get up my driveway in the snow with the damn thing so the locker is a must. And since my pinion seal started leaking, no better time than the present I suppose.

As I stated earlier, I am a HUGE fan of the Pro Comp AT and especially so for it's snow capability. Last Christmas we got HAMMERED with snow... I mean no joke I felt like I lived in a 3rd world country because for 6-10 days I was in 4 hi to get out of my driveway and drive more than 300 yards. I was lucky enough to be able to pull a lot of others (including a crowning moment for me when I pulled a ZR2 blazer on 36's - up the street to his house ;) while his daughter was in my back seat).

And I live in SUB-urban Denver area! I'll be darned if I can't swear that tons of my snow capability were directly attributable to the Pro Comp AT's I have. The BFG AT/KOs I had previously were abysmal in snow. I mean it, I've had the PC's for 3 years but I was stoked with their deep snow ability.

So, in addition to your locker acquisition, research the sin out of your prospecive tire purchase as well. :thumbsup:

As I stated earlier, I am a HUGE fan of the Pro Comp AT and especially so for it's snow capability. Last Christmas we got HAMMERED with snow... I mean no joke I felt like I lived in a 3rd world country because for 6-10 days I was in 4 hi to get out of my driveway and drive more than 300 yards. I was lucky enough to be able to pull a lot of others (including a crowning moment for me when I pulled a ZR2 blazer on 36's - up the street to his house ;) while his daughter was in my back seat).

And I live in SUB-urban Denver area! I'll be darned if I can't swear that tons of my snow capability were directly attributable to the Pro Comp AT's I have. The BFG AT/KOs I had previously were abysmal in snow. I mean it, I've had the PC's for 3 years but I was stoked with their deep snow ability.

So, in addition to your locker acquisition, research the sin out of your prospecive tire purchase as well. :thumbsup:

Well being that I'm in KS, we dont get the snow like you do there but I think we get more ice. i think we only got a couple good snows last year so tires with great snow capability arent my main concern. I want some tires that look really cool and will do good offroad but that wont beat me to death on the street and traction in the rain is definately a concern. In all honesty, it will spend most of its time on the street and its my DD so it would probably be pretty silly of me to get some big knobby mud tires or something like that. I originally was looking at the BFG mud T/A'a but then I think I decided something like the BFG A/T would probably make more sense. I was looking at the Procomps and they are definately being considered. But now I have been considering doing a 33x10.5 instead of the 32x11.5. I think the little extra height would be more beneficial than the extra width but Im concerned about not having enough gear. Man I never thought this would be such a dig decision. Im also starting to think that I should probably wait until I get the body lift to deal with the wheels/tires. Im fairly sure I can limp my current ones through the winter. The tread is like new but Im starting to get some dry rot for some reason.

The Pro-Comps are not widely available in Kansas City. BFG A/T's are.

I wanted Dick Cepek Fun Country II's but the only place local that can get them is Sux Trux (Chux Trux) and they wanted $230 a piece for 33x12.5x15 :eek: I can get them from 4 Wheel parts for $175 but problem with mail order is tire shops want three times the price to mount and balance if you do not buy the tires from them.

The Pro-Comps are not widely available in Kansas City. BFG A/T's are.

I wanted Dick Cepek Fun Country II's but the only place local that can get them is Sux Trux (Chux Trux) and they wanted $230 a piece for 33x12.5x15 :eek: I can get them from 4 Wheel parts for $175 but problem with mail order is tire shops want three times the price to mount and balance if you do not buy the tires from them.

Ya, I was actually looking at 4wheelparts for the Procomps. I will mount them myself so all I will be out is the balance. I pretty much mail order my tires now days because every local tire shop I have dealt with has managed to piss me off in one fashion or another.

Well, as mentioned earlier... I've resolved my initial question with using the 16x7's I acquired and getting 285 75's (after most of the winter).

However, now I wonder for those of you with the SOHC and 4.10's... those that wheel with this set-up and 285's; is this too much tire for the 4.10's?????!

On paper, it's supposed to be fine and I don't normally drive with my foot 'in it' on the street -- 33" tires and 4.10's is supposed to be acceptable for the gearing -- (and I know it's gonna suck a bit of bottom end that I currently have)... but how does this combo work when 4-wheelin- (like steep, loose hill climbs) ?

TIA, the only person I know who wheels with 285's and 4.10's has the v8, (Evan; :salute: )and thus has more low-end grunt to compensate for the losses.

However, now I wonder for those of you with the SOHC and 4.10's... those that wheel with this set-up and 285's; is this too much tire for the 4.10's?????!

You should be fine. Gerald and JasonB wheel'd this way on their '99 SOHC's. I honestly couldn't tell much of a performance difference when I went to 265's on my Sport (given a 285 is taller, but still...)

I should've gone with 285's back when I bought my 265's.

Keep in my Ford offered 3.55's, 3.73's and 4.10's with 30" tires behind the SOHC. I would say a 285 would be the upper limit, but you don't tow so you'd probably be fine.

Back