HELP: How do I remove the overhead console on a 2005 Explorer XLT w/ AC controls??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP: How do I remove the overhead console on a 2005 Explorer XLT w/ AC controls???

aircrew92

Reaction score
City, State
Baton Rouge, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT 4x4
Can anyone explain to me how to drop the overhead console on my truck? I need to replace the map light switch for the passenger maplight, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the console down from the headliner. I removed the screw that is hidden in the garage door opener compartment at the back of the console, but that is a far and I can get it. I don't want to pull down and snap something causing an expensive replacement part trip to the dealership. I figure it is being held in by some sort of clips near the windshield, but I cannot get the thing down. Please advise and thank you in advance! New user. Great forum!

aircrew92

aircrew, my 2004 EB may be slightly different, but the method is the same for almost all the interior trim. There should be two sping clips at the front (windsheild) and two spring clips at the rear. Gently pry the edges of the console in those four spots. It will come off with some firm pressure. Good luck.

Thanks!

I will give that a try and get back to you. Thank you very much for the info. Have a great weekend!

aircrew92

Back