Help matching touch up paint.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help matching touch up paint..

My 97xlt has an exterior color that is discontinued by Ford. I need a tube
of touch up paint especially for the front of the hood as the previous owner had a bug deflector that someone took off before I bought it. I
bought a cheap tube of enamel model paint just to get something on the
spots when I got it but the blue is lighter in color. I know where I can
have a tube mixed up in town but I don't really want to spend an outrageous amount of money for that, yet. The color
is (KN) and just wondering if MONMIX or anyone has a way of knowing if
there is a close enough match that I can buy in an Advance or other parts store, say even for another make. I don't care if it's exact no biggie just as long as it's much closer than I have now. Probably not, just
thought I'd throw this out there, it's dark dark blue anyway..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got some touch up paint from a bodyshop, cost $7 for about 5oz.

I think the web site is paintscratch.com

Yeah, I checked paintscratch for you, and they have the Dark Lapis Metallic Clearcoat (KN). It is about $10 for a 1oz bottle of the stuff w/ brush.

Thanks for the link, I'll check back with the local autobody supply store
and see again exactly what they wanted to mix up a touch up paint, I just remeber it was pretty pricey and just wanted to get an off the
shelf color that was close but whatever's cheaper (since I'd have to pay shipping for the online order right?) then I'll go with that..

... just wanted to get an off the
shelf color that was close but whatever's cheaper (since I'd have to pay shipping for the online order right?) then I'll go with that..

So, is there any word on the "Lapis" color (KE), is there an off-the-shelf close enough match in a spray can (yeah, i know, i want too much)

...A quick search here turned up this thread...;)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199651

...If you take some time to read thru it, there are a few links that will lead you to what you are looking for...

..Edit: Also, if you find the link and follow it, enter your vehicle as a 96 Explorer..:biggthump

...A quick search here turned up this thread...;)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199651
...If you take some time to read thru it, there are a few links that will lead you to what you are looking for...

Yeah that's like my _favorite_ thread... just trying to avoid mail ordering the color from paintscratch.com for $25...

The problem is - today at advance auto parts, looking at the duplicolor color chart, it turned out that this color only comes in the scratch fix small bottle, and does not come in $5 spray cans...

Back