• Register Today It's free!

Help Me!! New Here

TonyTiger2004

Reaction score
City, State
Manchester, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4.0L SOHC
few questions, got a buddy of mine who has a 1998 ford explorer xlt with 4.0L sohc with 145k miles on vehicle. It started clicking one day and locked up, unsure if it could be the timing chain or more extensive work. Truck is in great condition interior is clear it is a 4x4 automatic. Would $500 be worth the risk of rebuilding or puting a new engine in?

and which year of explorers 4.0l will fit? and will the computer be needed with the engine of doner vehicle?

Truck is sharp straight body good paint clean interior.

seized or just won't run?

If the engine lost oil pressure and seized then a replacement long block will be needed. If the timing chain slipped then there are probably bent valves and dinged pistons on one bank. That would require timing chain and valve replacements. A special tool is needed to remove the valves and a special tool kit is needed to time the camshafts. Just the tools can cost about $300. Then there is the cost of the timing chain related parts - maybe another $300 or $400 from Ford if you have 4WD and do all of the chains. Also, you have to pull the engine to repair the rear timing chain so you'll need a crane and engine stand - another $200 to $250.

You can purchase a long block from a salvage yard but any doner with over 50,000 miles could have timing chain problems and you still need a crane. Any Ford SOHC V6 long block will swap. You can use an Explorer, Mountaineer, Mustang, Ranger or even Range Rover Discovery as a doner. You don't need the doner PCM. However, you may have to strip the engine down to just a long block and reuse your original intake manifolds, wiring harness, and accessories. The only difference that I'm aware of is the ealier year SOHC V6s have a crankcase breather that was not on the later years and is plugged. You just pop the plug and use your original breather.

Back