help me pick a tire, any tire | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

help me pick a tire, any tire

hey guys i'm a student at clemson university and am on a sort of strict budget. i bought a (gulp) set of used 31x10.50 goodyear wrangler at/s to replace my scrawny 235 uniroyals...
My question is...for all-around performance on and off-road, and for reliability and some wear, what would be the best MUD-TERRAIN tire for the money? i've look at the bfg m/t and some baja radials...any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks a lot guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're on a tight budget, the last thing you want to get is a set of M/T tires, your mileage will drop like a rock plus it costs an arm and a leg for a new set.

Good overall for price/wear/traction tires are:

Pirelli Scorpion A/T
Yokohama Geolandar A/T

i've got a little over five hundred to spend on the tires. umm, can you send me a little info on the tires you mentioned. i've never heard of them before. are they agressive. i want performance, but at my early age, i want the looks too. and gas mileage isn't a concern thank god because i have my parent's gas card Dead Link Removed. thanks for your help and interest. patrick stewart

Patrick -

Go to the tirerack link at the bottom of the page and check out the tires. These are aggressive but not nearly as aggressive as the M/T and they are not that expensive compare to the other M/T or even the BFG AT KO.

There have been some discussions and feedbacks from owners who have bought these recently. Do a search for these tires and see for yourself. It's all a matter of preference and what you use the tires primarily for.

My personal preference is the BFG AT KO because it has three sidewall plies and offers better offroad traction than the others but the drawback is it costs about $30 more per tire.

With $500, your best bet is to look at the Pirelli Scorpion ATs (it comes with a 40k miles warranty). It's about $90/each for a 31", probably less for smaller size. With mounting, balance, disposal fees, valves, and taxes you'll be looking at close to $500.00.

Patrick,

I'm also at Clemson University. I have to agree with kvo. The BFG all terrains are a realy good tire for the money. I've been running a 32X11.50 set for over a year now (over 20K miles),and have barely put a dent in the tread, even with drives back and forth to my home in Texas. So far they have managed to get me everywhere that I needed to get too (and probably a few I shouldn't have) off road. The only drawback that I have found with two sets of them (30's adn 32's) is that I have yet to get a really good balance out of them. Part of it may be the inherant Explorer shake, but I can't help but think a little is the tires. Hopefully this will help you a little.

Michael

------------------
"I think animal testing is a terrible idea; they get all nervous and give the wrong answers."

Although I have never used them, the Yokohama Geolander suggested is suppose to be an excellent tire. I have seen the tire perform on slickrock, sand, and mountain trails all with excellent results. On the road it was far quieter than my BFG M/T's.

Unless you are off-road alot or in sevier mud, stick with a good all-terrian. BFG is another excellent choice.

thanks a lot for your help guys. i have basically decided on an agressive mud-terrain tire over an a/t. i won't be doing that much driving and i do a lot more playin in the mud than on rocks, hills, etc..
for the money, what would be the better tire? the bridgestone dueler m/t or the bfg m/t? i have enough money now thanks to a little help from daddy's pocket, so money isn't really too much of an issue. ride quality is not a big factor so much as performance and looks are. i'll be using the stock 15" rim, so that will save me some money too.
thanks again in advance for my petty request. patrick stewart
pooboy16@aol.com

Patrick,
I have used the BFG MT's before and I now run the Yokohama Geolander MT's. I like the MT's much better than the BFGs. They seem to clean themselves quicker, and the lugs seem to just grab the rocks and pull me over. The only thing the BFG has that the Yokohama doesn't is a thicker sidewall. One of the Recent 4x mags did a comparision of the Wrangler MT, New Cepek tire and the Geolander MT. I have a picture of them on my site at http://mark.legendz.com/explorer/geolander.html.

I paid just over $600 for 4 31x10.50's. I ran the 30" tires before on my 92 with no lift and they fit just fine. The 31's required the lift. Both sets were mounted on 15x8 rims and I had no rubbing with either set.

Mark

------------------
Mark
mark@legendz.com
http://mark.legendz.com
Off-Road and Motorcycle Information, Pictures and Movies

Patrick,
I have used the BFG MT's before and I now run the Yokohama Geolander MT's. I like the MT's much better than the BFGs. They seem to clean themselves quicker, and the lugs seem to just grab the rocks and pull me over. The only thing the BFG has that the Yokohama doesn't is a thicker sidewall. One of the Recent 4x mags did a comparision of the Wrangler MT, New Cepek tire and the Geolander MT. I have a picture of them on my site at http://mark.legendz.com/explorer/geolander.html.

I paid just over $600 for 4 31x10.50's. I ran the 30" tires before on my 92 with no lift and they fit just fine. The 31's required the lift. Both sets were mounted on 15x8 rims and I had no rubbing with either set.

Mark

------------------
Mark
mark@legendz.com
http://mark.legendz.com
Off-Road and Motorcycle Information, Pictures and Movies

I would suggest you check out the "Baja" series at:
www.mickeythompsontires.com

I have the new Baja Radial MTX, but for the look you want, I would suggest the Baja Belted or something like that. M/T's are professional quality off-road tires that look really cool. BFGs look good, but everyone has them. Try something new. Good luck.

Back