please help me pick a remote start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

please help me pick a remote start

TheRookie

Traveling SAS guru
Reaction score
City, State
West Chester PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer xlt
I need to find a remote start. I dont care much about how well the alarm part of it works, I really want the start and keyless entry. I would like to stay as cheap as possible but can probably go to $200. 2 way is cool but not needed. I also need 2 remotes.
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check out Circuit City. I'm pretty sure I saw something in your price range. Their prices are installed prices.

Thanks for the tip. I would rather get something online and install it myself. I cant bear to pay someone to do something I can do.

Thanks. looks like Valet is DEI, they seem to have a good reputation.

From the research I did last year I thik most of the common brands are made by DEI

I bought an avital by DEI refurb off ebay for $60 last year, I'm happy with the product but be aware that there is 0 customer service, they will not help you. I would also get one with a bitpim connection to program it. Where I ran into trouble was that there was different versions of mine with different programming menu options and of course I didnt have access to the correct ones for mine.

Yeah it's DEI, same company that now owns about 20 audio and security companies, check out directed.com to see what they own this week. The list just keeps getting longer. And as EMG stated, don't expect any help from DEI on stuff as they only work with certified installers. Going along with this is also the fact warranty on the security systems is void if you install it yourself. Often posting at the12volt.com you can get the actual directech install documents with all wire info for your vehicle. I had a complete 2 way system installed in a long afternoon with the directech docs.

If you can get the correct manuals its easy, the only issues I ran into was that the sequence of options in my manual was different than on my unit. I probably wont buy another on just because of that. When I buy one for my new car it will probably be a compustar.
Edit: what ever one you do get dont get one with a combo lock/unlock button its much nicer to have seperate buttons.

Thanks guys, great info. THe install process doesnt bother me any however programming issues do. So perhaps the moral is to go ahead and buy a better one like viper or clifford that has clear instructions on programming.

I've got an extra Audiovox AA925 keyless entry and remote start. Bought 2 installed one and sold the other car. Let me know if your interested. They go for about $75-90 online. I'll let it go for $50. cbc2@cox.net

I would do like most said and stick to a DEI branded unit, I think my viper was under $200... but that was at dealer cost :p:

I used to install a DEI keyless with remote start for $199. This was over 10 years ago. It may have gotten cheaper.

Tim

They can. You usually bypass the clutch safety switch. It is also illegal in most states as its easy to forget and leave the car in gear. I saw an idiot with a neon showing off his new remote start. He pushed the button and the car lurched into a concrete wall. So just be carefull.

I got a viper 130XV from a local Canadian big box retailer installed for under CAN$200 (so thats around US$150 range). It did come with only 1 remote but I was able to get one off of ebay for under $20 with the programming instructions

i bought a bulldog unit from meijer for only like 60 bucks...starts, stops and unlocks the doors no problem, install was cake, programming was cake, ground one wire, put foot on break, and push the remote, it is then programed.....the only thing i dont like is if you put your foot on the break before you put the key in, it kills it. Other than that i have no complaints, i really like that when you push the start button, it turns on the acc and powers up the fuel pump and other stuff, before starting, i have seen some that do it all at once and that can be hard on the motor, esp in the cold.

my friend got a Bulldog (just remote start) and works really good except he has one on his ranger and he has one on his moms car, and when he is at home and he starts his, he starts both his truck and his moms car ate the same time, thats the only thing he complained about, so if your considering them for more than one vehicle better make sure they wont do that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for all the help.
I decided on a clifford 3.5 rsx. (same thing as a viper 791xv) Its a 2 way unit and can be expanded with tons of options. Should be installed soonish I hope, even though the truck isnt on the road yet.

Back