HELP My car is squeaking! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP My car is squeaking!

I found out looking through my receipts that came with the car that the lower left ball joint was replaced.. how much do you think it will cost for good quality, and where should I get em?
Summit Racing is a really good place to get parts for your X.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A quality lower bj will run $30-$40, uppers are more because they include the control arm. Shop prices for Moog brand Problem Solver ball joints. RockAuto, Amazon, eBay and Summit are good places to look. Explorer Forum members get a 5% discount at RockAuto (with discount code) but you'll pay for shipping. I buy parts where ever I get the best price + shipping. You have to be careful with RockAuto shipping charges, because if multiple parts ship from different warehouses, you pay extra on shipping.

A quality lower bj will run $30-$40, uppers are more because they include the control arm. Shop prices for Moog brand Problem Solver ball joints. RockAuto, Amazon, eBay and Summit are good places to look. Explorer Forum members get a 5% discount at RockAuto (with discount code) but you'll pay for shipping. I buy parts where ever I get the best price + shipping. You have to be careful with RockAuto shipping charges, because if multiple parts ship from different warehouses, you pay extra on shipping.
Koda I took a video of it

Sounds like sway bar bushings. Does it still do it when they get wet, in the rain? If so, mine did the same.

Koda I took a video of it

Well, all I can say is that your video sounds exactly like my truck sounded before I changed my ball joints. That's all I did and it's totally silent now. I totally disagree that the noise is coming from the sway bar bushings.

If you want a 100% definitive answer, go to the auto parts store and buy a mechanic's stethoscope, then use it to isolate exactly where the squeaking is coming from. Everyone here seems to have a different opinion, but my money remains on your ball joints.

I have nothing else to add to this conversation. Let us know what happens.

OP, you need to DIAGNOSE the noise instead of asking the SAME questions in different words. If you don't have a jack and stands to troubleshoot safely, call around shops for a FREE written front end inspection. Until then, you will continue chasing your tail. Good luck.

I agree with koda, that sure sounds like my lower ball joint did before I changed it.

I'll bet that it's not bushings.

$24 for the lower ball joint from Rock Auto and a couple hours of your time.

Stop posting and start working on it.

MT

I'd take some silicone grease and coat the part you suspect the most. If the squeak goes away, then you know you've got it. If not, then coat the next likely part.

I'd take some silicone grease and coat the part you suspect the most. If the squeak goes away, then you know you've got it. If not, then coat the next likely part.
Thanks everybody, I jus need the money to do it, I was about to go out and work on it a bit, and diagnose the issue at last

Hey so I just noticed today, that the squeaking just stopped randomly.soo yea..

That spray probably penatrated into the ball joint after a few days. Be careful. I had a van that squeaked up to the day the balljoint broke. I was lucky I was just turning into a driveway and not going down the road.

It's a miracle! Don't worry the squeak will return.

Don't neglect front end parts on a 23yo vehicle, especially a truck. This is one vehicle where you want the chassis to function as designed. Many places will give you a free estimate, with no obligation. Especially tire places that know if they are nice you will be back for tires. You can take what they say, check yourself or even get a second opinion. Do not scrimp on front end parts, the ebay deals may be tempting but if you are keeping it for the long term go for name brand parts.

Back