Help needed!! getting ripped off by a dealer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help needed!! getting ripped off by a dealer

nope the independant shop looked at it for free .... they checked it out and then drove it around for a while see see if it was driving ok

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the dealer is feeding you a line of S**T!!! Stained gaskets are how they diagnosed it?? BS!! If it's oil stained it could be a slight leak from the valve covers (most older vehicles do this at some point, the gaskets dry out over time and leak) which is no big deal. If it's coolant causing the stain, you would notice that you are constantly having to put more antifreeze in the radiator to keep the truck from overheating. Did they say if they did a compression test or a coolant system pressure test?? Between those two tests you should be able to tell if the gasket is leaking. A compression test will tell you if you are losing compression out of the cylinders. This is done by removing all the spark plugs and putting a compression gauge in each spark plug hole (one cylinder at a time) and cranking the engine over. The gauge is thne read and you are looking for pressure drops cylinder to cylinder. The coolant system pressure test will tell you if the system is pushing coolant out somewhere. That is done by removing the radiator cap, installing a pressurizing cylinder with a gauge on it, pressurizing the system, and watching to see if the gauge pressure drops. If they didn't mention doing either of those, or doing a UV leak test, they didn't do the proper tests.

well, I assume you haven't had all that done, especially for FREE, the shops here want to charge me $50 just to plug a computer in to see if I'm throwing any codes, any other work would cost $50 an hour more consecutivley, thats just labor, any parts would also be charged.

I'd like to have that information about mine, compression etc. I want to know everything I can about my truck, but NOOOOOOOOOOO ford says its "damn quick" and "shifting sporty" I say its sluggish and shifting hard.. someone wanna donate $50 to the "stop darkfox1 from complaining about his ride all the time" fund? :p

Dealer rip-off

been there, done that. had bad IAC, dealer repaired tranny! hasn't been right since. Ford won't get involved until dealer refuses to work on it. This is the only Ford dealer, in this area, authorized by the extended warranty company. Ford and dealer insisted on giving dealer "one more attempt" to resolve the problem, so I (idiot!!!!) did. Telling me that it's "tire noise", I say "oh, really? Tires were replaced two weeks ago". Since that's the case, it has to be a wheel bearing. Fine, took it to someone reliable (actually knows how to troubleshoot, not just computer codes). Bearings starting to show a little wear, so I went ahead and had him replace - inner/outer/seals. Guess what? The problem is still there!!, and the dealer insists there is nothing wrong.

they didnt say exactly what tests they did and i am positive they didnt do any of those tests on it after i brought it back the 2nd time cause they just put it on the rack and showed us how part of the head gasket was stained (even thought i could not even see what he was talking about b/c i saw no stains)

No way....

Bardz,

I'd definitely get a second opinion! Do you know of a mechanic nearby? Have the truck towed to their garage if you can't drive it.

I've been dealing with my neighborhood mechanic for 2 years now and he's one that will NOT take me for my money or just tell me I need this or that replaced - the dealership oftentimes are just out for the money - they miscalulate car problems.

GET A SECOND OPIONION.....and if the second opinion turns out correct (like the first one) let them do the repair, they'll probably turn out a lot cheaper too!

i got a second opinion.....my parents mechanic looked at it and found no problems....and then after that my dad convinced me to go with him back to the dealer to have them show us what they found which is when they said they found stains or whatever

Bardz2001.....
I would give my local BBB a call. If this is a reputable dealer that just made a mistake (we all make them), then they have nothing to worry about and your call won't get them in any trouble.

However, if this dealer has gotten called on before for srewing people over...then they will have something to worry about.

Either way, your doing your part to make sure that some other guy who isn'y sure won't get hosed.

yea thats a good idea

Back