Help needed pls :D

veurinw

Reaction score
City, State
Perth
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Hey all :D

i have a 1997 ford explorer XLT which has had a Lpg (Gas) system put on it :( i have had nothing but problems with it.

I went and saw a gas mechanic and he told me that it needs to be gas injected and that would cost me about $2000 to convert over to a injected style.

The symptoms ive had were the car would backfire if i took off to fast in gas.. I have been told that is because of the plastic intake manifold on the explorers and the size of the manifold causing air pockets.. hence the backfiring.

It also seems to idle wierdly both in gas and petrol.. like it fluctuates high and low but im not sure if thats a gas problem as such or something else??? seems to be worse whilst in gas

Im a very very illiterate person when it comes to cars lol so any comments would be great!!

The car has been a bit scary for me also that when i have been turning a corner in gas my car would stall and the steering would lock up on me!! its very dangerous considering it happened as i was turning infront of a truck at some lights and i almost got cleaned up.

The question is.. would i getting it transferred over to gas injected fix these problems or could it be something else? and how can i find out if not sure?

Thanks heaps for you input.

First off try cleaning the maf and the iac. Plenty of how to's on both if you search. If that doesn't cure the idle and cutting out prob you are pro looking at upper and/or lower inlet manifold gaskets (search 00m12 kit).
A single point gas kit does not work as well as easily as multipoint on these engines but it can be done.
I believe the back fire has something to do with the gas delivery even on deceleration or free wheel causes a gas build up in the intake that gets ignited. these backfires could have sooted up your maf (tho i don't think it is used when running on lpg). Also make sure you are running the right spark plugs. I have read somewhere that the copper ones are better if running lpg but can't confim this.
Send a pm to jcasey007 here in the uk as he has sorted his out after blowing up a couple of intakes and air boxes. You could check the symptoms with him and see what sparks he has also. If you search for his threads you will find a couple on his saga.
HTH
Regards
P.s I love perth esp cottesloe, spent 3 weeks a few years ago in January enjoying the heat.

Edit : also if the moderators don't mind (shouldn't really double post) you may want to post in the uk section as we have a few over here running lpg

Hi and thanks for your reply.

I have cleaned the Iac and the MAF and i did notice a difference in the idling but it is still not right so might have to go and change the gaskets.

The spark plugs are indeed copper and were replaced half a year ago.

Would you reccommend to change to gas injected or just leave as is???

cheers,

As i said i don't really know anything about lpg other than the threads i've read.
jcasey007 has definately had good results with his singlepoint so it can be done. One of his threads shows how he fitted better relief valves to stop the backfire. As said best post in the uk section or pm jim direct.

Back