HELP!!! new heads. engine wont start. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP!!! new heads. engine wont start.

1991fordexploder

Reaction score
City, State
Sanford, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT stock
everything is connected and the engine wont fire. i have fuel pressure and im pretty sure i have the firing order right on the plug wires and coil but it will not fire and run. what am i missing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone?

I have the chiltons or haynes manual for my truck. And all of the spark plug wire diagrams are really shotty and hard to read. But from what I read on the forums it shoud be 123456 on the engine and 123465 on the coil. Everytime I try to start the engine it backfires through the intake.

what am i missing?

Information. You need to be as detailed as possible when describing what you have done and what the symptoms of your problem are. If you just performed major engine work that makes it even more important. Pictures and a work log of what you did would be helpful.

When viewed from the front

Engine is laid out as

3 6
2 5
1 4

firing order is 1 4 2 5 3 6

coil pack

3 4
2 6
1 5

This should solve your problem, it sounds like you might have gotten 4 and 5 mixed up.

Also, check to see if you have all the vacuum lines hooked up, but from your description and that backfire, sounds like you just have the firing order wrong.

thanks dude

No problem

Thanks again FIND. The firing order you gave me was right and chiltons was wrong. I appreciate the help more than you know. I missed driving my X so much. I had to drive the gf's neon for a month.

Thanks again FIND. The firing order you gave me was right and chiltons was wrong. I appreciate the help more than you know. I missed driving my X so much. I had to drive the gf's neon for a month.

Thats actually a very common issue. Its very easy to misread the firing order. I finally wrote it down on the core support after I misread it a 2nd time from the book.

~Mark

ok here's what i did.
$500 new aftermarket casting heads using the original valves, springs keepers etc.
$100 new alternator,
$25 new starter solenoid,
$135 head gasket set,
$40 new lifter,
$40 new head bolts.

gasket matched intake plenum, fuel supply manifold, lower intake manifold.

Back