HELP!!! New Stereo system for 1999 Explorer Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP!!! New Stereo system for 1999 Explorer Limited

denise garrett

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Limite
Hello out there-

I want to replace the stereo system for my 1999 Explorer Limited. I only have 50,00 miles on it and won't be getting a new car anytime soon.

I have a Sony mach system, and the CD's skip, so I assume it needs a new player. I have gone to Best Buy, and called around to a few places. They can't seem to give me much info on what I would need to be comparable to the Mach. They also said they might be a gap in the panel, and it won't look the same.

I also thought about just installing another CD player under the passenger seat-the Ford dealer guy suggested that.

Anyway, I need my music and do not know what to do. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Do all of your CD's skip, try cleaning the CD's that you are having a problem with skipping. I have found the single CD player in my radio in my 00 Ranger if you have finger prints on the disc itself it will skip.

Is the system you have now a factory system? You said it was Sony. I maybe ignorant to the options so bear with me.
But, a good quality installation kit will not leave a gap in your install. I just test fit the Sosche kit I bought for my 1996 Explorer, fit like a glove.No gaps, nothing.
It sounds to me like the best buy dude is trying to sneak in a a surcharge for installation. " Oh, well you see it had that gap i was worried about and so its going to be $x.. dollars more,but you cant see where we fixed it."

I realize I have that suspicion if all these guys, but i used to be a used car lot manager, so i have seen it all.
I would install the stereo my self. But if you dont feel comfortable, google is your friend.
Interview no less than 3 install shops in your area. One of which should be an independent. An independant with a clean looking shop will often be more expensive but do better work. They cannot afford a single unhappy customer.
Good luck
Greg

Back