Help! OD blinking, won't shift to 5th | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! OD blinking, won't shift to 5th

Vernwhite86

Reaction score
City, State
Haz ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ford ranger
I have a 98 ranger 4.0 automatic and the od light is blinking and it will not shift into 5th gear. I have changed the abs speed sensor. What else could cause this? Help plz!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Vern, welcome!
I can't help, but I did re-name your thread a little to attract attention better from someone who may know how to help.

is it shifting fine in every other gear? there is a speed sensor on the tany itself too I believe. or it could be something inturnaly like a worn out band. How many miles are on the trany? 5r55e's can be very problematic. I've been though 3 of them in the last 3 yrs.

The flashing light tells you there is a trouble code stored in the computer, retrieve this code(s), this will be the first place to start. Most cheap scanners will not retrieve transmission codes, you may have to take it to a shop that can check it for you.

Yea it shifts n every other gear but it will not go into overdrive

My 06 may be different, but mine started just like yours... overdrive light flashing and overdrive stopped working. It turned out to be the shift solenoids wearing a groove in the bore it seats in. This lets pressure bleed out. The solenoid and the band it controls eventually fail. On the 06, 2nd gear and 5th are the same solenoid/band. 2nd gear went out pretty quick after OD stopped working. I hope yours is not as serious. Cost me $2100+tax to get the grooved bores sleeved and tranny rebuild.

Back