help- only cranks after valve cover and intake gasket replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

help- only cranks after valve cover and intake gasket replacement

xlr82x

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XL
So I replace the upper and lower intake gasket and the passenger valve cover gasket only. Truck will not start even with carb cleaner in the intake, just cranks. I believe at this point it is a spark issue. Am I correct or should I look at something else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

carb cleaner doesn't help you start a vehicle, it causes "firing issues" to happen when you are looking for a leak. You need starting fluid if you are checking for "firing". Anyways, check that all your connections / plugs are back on. Check for fuel pressure at the rail and go from there.

check firing order-maybe plugs wires wrong?
x2 on check wiring - reseat all connectors

Carb cleaner shoukd ignite regardless so long as there is spark. Looking at the manual it has a odd layout for the distributor and doesnt match. Can someone tell me if 5 & 1 connect on the driver or passenger side of the coil

v8? v6? ohv? sohc?

On the factory/oem coil there are numbers printed on it.

< rear of engine 465 driverside
< rear of engine 321 pass
4.0L OHV

should have clarified - the above post is the coil pack order for 4.0L OHV
FiringOrder6a.gif

So it runs now, turns out one of the plug wires wasnt seated right. But now thats its running it has a noticable clicking noise and rough idle. I assuming this is a vacuum leak somewhere. Guess I have to redo everything....

Back