1" Heat Spacer Install- 5.0 GT-40 ( Upper Plennum Removal and Replacement) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1" Heat Spacer Install- 5.0 GT-40 ( Upper Plennum Removal and Replacement)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update-

I am happy to report that my idle has returned to normal. I did absolutely nothing to fix it. I can only assume that my cleaning the upper intake and IAC made something unhappy, but all has returned to normal now.

As an added benefit, I seemed to have gotten a few more miles out of this tank o gas with all city driving. When I get gas, Ill crunch the numbers and report back-

Very nice write-up. I just installed a trick flow 1" on my 5.0 that is ready to go in my sport in 2 weeks. I elected to cut my coil bracket, and have a friend weld the mounting tab in a new location. Not necessary, but I figured why not since the motor is out. I also modified the throttle cable mount so it would still bolt to the coil bracket.

Did you encounter an issue with your trans dipstick tube hitting that aluminum EGR piece? I had to bend mine a little, but then again, I left everything bolted back there like stock. It looks like the PCM may get a little close so I may have to mount it at an angle like you did. Seems easy enough to do.

My spacer kit came with all the correct bolts. It was TFS-51520018 at summit racing. The only difference between the cobra and GT-40 kits are those 2 bolts.

Very nice write-up. I just installed a trick flow 1" on my 5.0 that is ready to go in my sport in 2 weeks. I elected to cut my coil bracket, and have a friend weld the mounting tab in a new location. Not necessary, but I figured why not since the motor is out. I also modified the throttle cable mount so it would still bolt to the coil bracket.

Did you encounter an issue with your trans dipstick tube hitting that aluminum EGR piece? I had to bend mine a little, but then again, I left everything bolted back there like stock. It looks like the PCM may get a little close so I may have to mount it at an angle like you did. Seems easy enough to do.

My spacer kit came with all the correct bolts. It was TFS-51520018 at summit racing. The only difference between the cobra and GT-40 kits are those 2 bolts.

I didn't realize there was a kit that would be correct. Oh well, I just have to find some bolts now. Maybe that will help somebody else get the right stuff the first time.

My trans dipstick did hit some of that egr contraption but I just gently pulled it out of the way. I didn't mention it because when I was installing my TMH's, I had to bend on my tube a little bit to get to a collector bolt, so I figured everyone else wouldn't have a problem.

Your going to love that 5.0 in your sport!

Yes yes you are
BII + GT-40 = :)

I am very pleased to see that you got noticeable gains with this mod. I mainly got this spacer to clear some valve covers, and figured any added gains would be nice, but I wasn't expecting much. I can't wait to get my engine in.

One question: Is it necessary to RTV the gaskets to the spacer for sealing purposes, or is that just a convenience of installation thing to keep everything lined up?

the upper intake, spacer, and gaskets get mounted dry, I did not use any silicoln or gasket glue on mine. Who told you to use silicoln? A small dab wont hurt to keep them in place, but gasket glue works much better for this then silicoln

I recommended using it when doing an "in truck" install to hold the gaskets in place. I had a very hard time lining everything up, setting the manifold on and getting the bolts in. Thats why I said a very thin layer- simply to hold the gaskets in place.

EDIT: For the record, I said high temp RTV, not silicone :)

Purdy Intake Spacer.

We just finished installing techieman33's spacer (and Torquemonster headers) last night-
Thanks for the excellent tips Evan:thumbsup:

I have to say, My intake manifold is a bit better--I can easily reach in behind it--:p:

I wonder why Eric didn't post an update to his registry, or at least brag about it a little.

great write up!!! and I assume this 1" spacer clears the hood with no modification right? Would there be any performance to be had by cleaning up the upper intake ports a bit while it is off?

Thanks!

Rick

great write up!!! and I assume this 1" spacer clears the hood with no modification right? Would there be any performance to be had by cleaning up the upper intake ports a bit while it is off?

Thanks!

Rick

A 4" spacer would clear the hood--but back at the firewall is where it is REAL tight. You actually have to slide the upper back in there--
I'd clean it up yes, but porting is touchy work best left to someone who knows what they are doing. This would NOT be a Mustang guy. Believe me, you want off the line pull, not end of track horsepower.

A 4" spacer would clear the hood--but back at the firewall is where it is REAL tight. You actually have to slide the upper back in there--
I'd clean it up yes, but porting is touchy work best left to someone who knows what they are doing. This would NOT be a Mustang guy. Believe me, you want off the line pull, not end of track horsepower.

I didnt see in the pics where you said it would be tight in the back....against the firewall?

ha ha on the mustang comment...have you done any porting? How would you do any porting if at all? I know the long runners are good for torque...which is what I am looking to improve on here.

To revive this thread- what would everyone think of disconnecting the two rubber hoses that flow coolant through the manifold? With the spacer- heat wouldn't be an issue in the upper intake, so the "coolant" is only heating the manifold. I think??

To revive this thread- what would everyone think of disconnecting the two rubber hoses that flow coolant through the manifold? With the spacer- heat wouldn't be an issue in the upper intake, so the "coolant" is only heating the manifold. I think??

I have heard of the mustang guys doing this to keep the heat out of the upper manifold/t-body.

I did a 5.0 Explorer with Trickflow lower and upper. It had no area for coolant to run to. I just capped them off. You will be fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine doesn't even have provision for the coolant tubes in the upper plennum or the egr elbow.It does however have a crossover tube in the LOWER plennum.

The lower manifold has coolant circulating through it anyway-I think you can safely eliminate the tubes to the upper--

Back